Barn Find 322

/ Barn Find 322 #1  

Mad_River

Tractor
John Deere 1023E with 60D mower and 120R loader
I found an early 1988 322 tucked away in an old hanger on a DOD installation for at least 5 years. It has been sitting for a long time evidenced by the numerous spider webs and doesn't have many hours. It no longer works, and is DOD property. Anyone think this is worth the trouble of trying to rescue it from its eventual disposition? Does this have a diesel or gas Yanmar in it? I see conflicting info online. I am not sure the best way to get it from the DOD since the command it belongs to can't even use it if it did work since another command now does the mowing. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20120413_153131.jpg
    20120413_153131.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 20120413_153201.jpg
    20120413_153201.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 950
   / Barn Find 322 #2  
The 322 is water cooled gas (look on tractordata.com which comes up when google on 322 Deere).
TractorData.com John Deere 322 tractor information

DOD could put it up for auction,

What do you know about it, when you can say it no longer "works" ? Curious what that means. Apparently the tires hold air unless someone just aired them up.

/ Barn Find 322 #3  
I believe the engine would be a gas Kawasaki. Is the engine stuck? It would be an excellant tractor. The rear PTO is worth $ 700. The 3 ph $300. Go from there.

/ Barn Find 322 #4  
Nice find,

The venerable 322 with a "gas conversion" yanmar 3 cyl. Supposed to be extremely tough units!

/ Barn Find 322 #5  
The 322 is a 3 cylinder gas yanmar engine they are great tractors and will run for thousands of hours. :thumbsup:

/ Barn Find 322 #7  
The 322 is water cooled gas (look on tractordata.com which comes up when google on 322 Deere).
TractorData.com John Deere 322 tractor information

DOD could put it up for auction,

What do you know about it, when you can say it no longer "works" ? Curious what that means. Apparently the tires hold air unless someone just aired them up.
I agree with your question. As you stated, the tires seem to hold air. Perhaps it could be something as simple as a dead battery?

/ Barn Find 322
I think it is OOC due to sitting for so long. Tank is turpentine. I think someone tried to pump up the tires to move it. Tried to turn the fan but the belt just slipped. The fact that the motor says Yanmar Diesel on it threw me when I saw it was gas online. I hope someone else didn't make that mistake and put diesel in it, which would explain why it was shelved for so long. Unfortunately it probably is going to sit for a lot more time.:(