316 no hydrolics

/ 316 no hydrolics #1  

jake651

Tractor
john deere 316
i recently replaced the engine and the mower sat for two years. it sat with the lever that allows for manual push, that releases the pressure, down from when i pushed it in the shed. now i took out the release vavles and checked them and they seemed fully functional. i turned the engine on and pressed the release vavles with the engine running and i noticed the one left of center depressed slow than the right of center. so any help? ask any ?'s if you have any

/ 316 no hydrolics #2  
:welcome:

So is the problem/question that there is a difference in the speed of the two valves?

Or after checking them for 'function', the 316 will not move forward or back when moving the control to forward/reverse?

Any other history of things happening that might be related? Transmission fluid change, filter change?

Hope we can get some good answers for you.

/ 316 no hydrolics
i put a 3 cylinder cat diesel engine in the lawn tractor, i reomoved the wiring harness and the computer, i don't think it would but is there anything stop it from working?

/ 316 no hydrolics
it will not move forward or backwards and the deck won't go up and down

/ 316 no hydrolics #5  
Ok.
Sounds like you are going to have to get some pressure checks to see if the charge pump is producing pressure. And I don't know how to do that on the 316.

I haven't searched TBN for hydraulic info on the 316. It may turn up something helpful.

Anything ring a bell that may contribute to this when you exchanged engines? Same engine size, etc. ?

Any movement problems before the engine exchange?
Was this tractor operated by you before the engine exchange?

/ 316 no hydrolics
it worked well before the engine blew. absolutely no problems. the new engine is a 3 cylinder inline 1.1l. so i need to check the pressures from the pump?

/ 316 no hydrolics #7  
What way did you mount the new engine? A 316 as are most lawn tractors is driven from the blower end of the engine. If you mounted the new engine so that your driving the pump from the flywheel end you have the input rotation to the pump wrong.

/ 316 no hydrolics
your serious? the new engine rotates counter clockwise. when the engine blew i scrapped it soon after. then 2 years later which is now i put the engine in. so i figured 50/50 chance. any way i could change the pumps position to make it work?

/ 316 no hydrolics #9  
Hey Jake

the new engine rotates counter clockwise.

Man what are the odds of that happening!:( Anyway,I know with the Onan being that it rotates CW,if you happen to install the charge pump housing 180 degree out it won't pump. Being you're rotating CCW,and you put the housing out 180 (upside down)..well who knows. Wouldn't hurt to try.:)

Greg

/ 316 no hydrolics #10  
The plot thickens. :)
Let's hope for an easy fix.