6X4 Gator Idle Problem

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #1  

BFET529

Tractor
Kubota L2550, Belarus 250AS, John Deere 6X4 Gator
Hi Everyoby!

I am new here as a member, but have used a lot of info from this site in the past and finally decided to join. Hopefully I am posting this in the right area...

Anyways, I have acquired an early to mid 90's 6X4 Gas Gator, (for free!) that has been sitting for a couple years. When I picked this up about a week and a half ago, there was nearly no motor oil, low coolant, and more dirt, mud, hay, ect. stuck in the engine compartment. Also, only 2 of the tires hold air. As bad as this thing sounds, and as hard as it has probably been run, after topping the trans axle oil, adding coolant, changing the oil, and cleaning out some debris, she started right up! Right at first, all I got was a light on the dash when I turned the key, but after a little jiggle of wires that run along the inside of the passenger side under the dump box, it started like it was new! (I'm guessing there may be a short in there) It ran and idled great for a minute or two, but once it was warmed up, it started to continuously idle up and down. If I get on the gas at all, it runs fine, without any problems. It is only at idle that it revs up and down. If I pull the choke out just a bit and hold it there, or barely depress the gas, it idles great. Thinking it may be the couple year old gas, I drained all the gas from the tank, added new gas with the a dose of seafoam, hoping that would solve my problem. I ran it for about an hour or so at idle, half throtle, and full throttle, all at different intervals, but noticed no improvement... I left it idle for another 30 minutes or so after that as well but still is surging. Although it doesn't idle evenly, the motor won't die, and stays running at idle, no matter how long you leave it run. My thought was maybe the carb needs more than the seafoam treatment, new fuel filter, or new fuel pump??? I am in no way a mechanic, but more so a weekend guy that is learning his way around the shop as problems arise...

Any Ideas??? Sorry for the long story!! Any Help is Appreciated!!

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #2  
:welcome:

Congrats on the new problem.

Any chance you might get the tech manual for this gator? Might help locate present and future problems.

And I'd be sure to get a new fuel filter after getting the old gas cleaned out (if not already done).

Last edited:
   / 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #3  
if you aren't afraid to take the carb off, you could
then take it to a shop and have it rebuilt, and soaked.

soaking gets the crud that's buried in the small crevasses
of the carb, and the new rebuild kit would include the
float needle valve and seats etc. not a very hard job,
but labor can add up. if you can tear the carb down
yourself you'd save a bit, but you may not have a solution
tank to soak the body of the carb in after you get it
torn down.
while the carb is off, try to get the rest of the fuel
system cleaned out, flushed thru, to reduce the risk of
any more contaminants in the carb after you get it
rebuilt.

congrats on the new toy! i have an old 4x2 and it's
great to have around the property, give grandkids rides,
etc.

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem
Thanks Dutch!

That is my gut feeling that it is the carb.. really could be a lolt worse I guess! I'll be looking at doing that soon, and I'll keep you updated!

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #5  
you most definitely need to rebuild the carb.
The rubber diaphragms eventually get stretched and cause the surging at idle.
If you're mechanically inclined the rebuild is not very difficult.

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem
I picked up a fuel filter today, and plan on getting into the carb on Friday! Wish me luck! I am hoping once it is all bolted back together that we have a nice smooth idle! I'll keep you updated on how it goes! Then I have to look at getting new tires... the ones on it are horrible. 3 different tire places all refuse to tube them... They are all cracked and dry rotted from sitting flat. Anyone know of somewhere that sells cheap tires?

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #7  
I picked up a fuel filter today, and plan on getting into the carb on Friday! Wish me luck! I am hoping once it is all bolted back together that we have a nice smooth idle! I'll keep you updated on how it goes! Then I have to look at getting new tires... the ones on it are horrible. 3 different tire places all refuse to tube them... They are all cracked and dry rotted from sitting flat. Anyone know of somewhere that sells cheap tires?

Make sure that you pick up a carb rebuild kit!
Once you open it up you'll need new gaskets to put it back together.

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem
So I swapped out the fuel filter... Low and behold it seems to be running great! It is running strong and no more up and down idle. I'm thinking I still may tear down the carb though, as I am sure it probably needs it. The only other major issue, besides needing some new plastic, seats, and tires, is electrical. Sometimes when you turn the key just a light comes on... you have to reach back and give the wires on the passenger side a jiggle and she starts right up. Think it's a short? Or maybe I have a loose connection somewhere? The other electrical issue is that the wires for the electric lift are cut, and you have to hold/touch them direcly to the batter to raise it, and flip them around and touch them to get it to lower... Unfortunately I hate electric issues!

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem
Thinking the electrical issue may need to be added as a new thread...

/ 6X4 Gator Idle Problem #10  
glad it's running better!
if it's that good, no need to tear down the carb,
make sure the gas is fresh, and you have already
treated with seafoam, so maybe you have the worst
of it licked. that's a good thing! why spend $$ if you don't
have to!
keep in mind this ethanol is crap, so always use a treatment
for that, startron, or stabil ethanol treatment in your fuel.

i purchased some aftermarket seats for mine, yellow, look
great, but a lot less than original .

i am in the same boat , front tires go flat sitting in the garage
for a while, so i think i'll have mine tubed. if yours are really
checked/cracked bad, maybe it wont' work. but tires are expensive.
tubes are cheap.

sounds like you are having fun with it, and i'm sure you will find
that electrical gremlin in there somewhere. you already know it's
a bad wire, keep searching and you will find the problem.

:D