John Deere 320...no fuel

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #1  

itch71

Tractor
John Deere 320
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums from Montreal Canada.

Trying to fire up a 320 that's been sitting idle for 3 years. The tractor worked fine to the day we stored her 3 years ago. I've got strong spark but no fuel. I've never worked on a tractor myself before but it seems obvious to me that the fuel is fed by a pump. How would I diagnose the problem? Is there a switch that's not telling the pump to pump? Or might the pump itself be shot?

Thanks for any help

Itch

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #2  
Welcome to the forum. After three years, I would start at the gas line port coming out of the tank all the way to the carb which probably needs a very thorough cleaning.

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #3  
Welcome to TBN.

Not real familiar with the 320, but I think it has a sediment bowl and shutoff. If you unscrew the sediment bowl, and open the petcock, are you getting fuel out of the tank? If you have fuel here, then I believe there is a fuel solenoid at the carb. If you unscrew this - do you have fuel here? If yes, can you hear the solenoid retract when the key is turned on? If no - check the power to the solenoid. In a pinch - you can cut the needle off the solenoid. (it's there to keep the tractor from backfiring when you shut off the tractor.)

If all is good there, I would take the carb off and clean it - probably gummed up.

I have had to pull the entire fuel system including the tank on one that sat for years. The fuel like were solid with gummed fuel.

Good luck, spark, air and fuel - pretty much all you need!!

Enjoy TBN!!

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #4  
I agree that you should start from the tank to the engine and mark sure everything is free flowing. I would also get a new fuel filter. Also check the fuel open close valve that is near the fuel filter.

/ John Deere 320...no fuel
Thanks for the insight guys!

I unclipped the fuel line to the fuel filter and sucked on it...I got gas in my mouth no problem. When I crank the engine with the fuel line diconnected before the filter...no gas comes out. I know that the tank lies lower than the filter so the gas isn't gravity fed. Does the fuel solenoid suck the fuel out of the tank Depmandog? I would have guessed that a pump in the tank would push the fuel through the lines to the carb. I have no fuel at the filter...so cleaning the carb, although it might me necessary, is not the immediate problem in my opinion.
Is there a fuel pump in the tank that might be bad...or perhaps the electronics feeding it?

Thanks a bunch guys!!

Itch

/ John Deere 320...no fuel
The fuel valve is open moresnow :)

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #7  
itch71 said:
Thanks for the insight guys!

I unclipped the fuel line to the fuel filter and sucked on it...I got gas in my mouth no problem. When I crank the engine with the fuel line diconnected before the filter...no gas comes out. I know that the tank lies lower than the filter so the gas isn't gravity fed. Does the fuel solenoid suck the fuel out of the tank Depmandog? I would have guessed that a pump in the tank would push the fuel through the lines to the carb. I have no fuel at the filter...so cleaning the carb, although it might me necessary, is not the immediate problem in my opinion.
Is there a fuel pump in the tank that might be bad...or perhaps the electronics feeding it?

Thanks a bunch guys!!

Itch

Whoops. I think we have a miscommunication. I take it your 320 is the lawn & garden tractor, and not the 50+ year old 2 cy 320 popper? I forget that Deere duplicated some model numbers.

No, the solenoid, if your 320 has one isn't a fuel pump. And if yours has a fuel pump, it probably doesn't have the solenoid.

I am guessing here, but if you have a fuel pump in the tank - not sure you could suck gas through it.

I will look on the net for a bit more info - but I wouldn't be afraid to hook things back together and give it a few shots of starting fluid and try to start it. It's liable to start and run for a few seconds then die. Might need to do this a few times. I usually can get things started this way if cranking fails.

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #8  
After 3 years, your whole fuel system needs a good cleaning. Does the gas smell like gas? or like varnish?

Also, you said "I unclipped the fuel line TO the fuel filter and got gas"

How about after the filter? Filter plugged?

And it probabally does NOT have a pump in the tank. Most garden tractors have a mechanical FP on the engine.

Try this:

Unhook the fuel line feeding the carb? getting gas?

If yes, carb needs cleaned.

If no, unhook line going to fuel pump from tank. Put your finger over the port and crank engine over. Is it creating suction?

If no, then Fuel pump is probabally bad.

If yes, then it is most likely a dirty fuel filter.

Take fuel filter off and try to blow through it. If you cannot pretty easially (like blowing through a straw) then replace that.

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #9  
assuming it is a x320 the fuel pump is driven off the vacuum from the crankcase (diaphragm pump)

I would take the bowl off the carb clean it out and then prime the line with fuel between the filter and carb

Mine takes a long time to start after it has been sitting over the winter. usually the first 15-20 seconds of cranking with the choke on yields nothing so I stop and let the starter cool then it usually starts fairly quickly after that

/ John Deere 320...no fuel #10  
Is it a 320 or a x320?