Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Deere X540

Default X series PTO Clutch revisited

By the sound of things I'm due for PTO clutch #4 on my 2008 X540. I see on various sites that at least some of the 2012 X300/X500 series models are using a PTO clutch with part #AM141536 in lieu of #AM134397 or #AM137323.

The JD online parts index doesn't show #AM141536 for the X520/540 so far. Has anyone used the new part yet, or is it "retro" usable to the older editions of the same machines? I'm guessing the parts listing haven't been updated and this is Deere's second attempt to source a replacement clutch that doesn't seize.

Bob
    Last edited by ATCtech; 04-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Tractor
    Deere X540

Default Re: X series PTO Clutch revisited

Ok, guess I'll be the test case. Confirmed yesterday the replacement that arrived at the dealer is in fact AM141536, so we'll see if version #3 lasts any longer.

Bob

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

I can't answer your part number question but since I'm in the market for either a X300 or X500 series new mower, is the clutch problem a know issue with the x500 series?

Tractor
    Deere X540

I don't think it's a huge issue but it's certainly well known. There is an internal DTAC I believe they call it (a JD internal service directive) on the problem going back to early 2009 or there-abouts. The AM141536 version clutch is the 3rd part number listed for the X300-X500 series in that time so clearly Deere has experienced enough reports/replacements to continue to try to resolve the bearing seize-up situation.

Both of the failed units removed by JD service from my X540 to date were so seized they couldn't be turned by hand. The first two lasted about 40 hours each, the third is at about 65 hours now and it's chirping when the PTO is engaged and starting to "howl" with the engine running and the blades are not engaged. It's as loud as the engine at this point, a sure sign it's about to seize.

My machine is used exclusively to cut grass (and bag clippings in the fall), it's nearly as clean and shiny as the day it was new and has never seen out of the ordinary use, so now at 3 1/2 seasons and only 150-ish hours it's a very provable defect as far as the dealer and I are concerned. Otherwise, the X540 has been bulletproof. I had an LX178 for 17 seasons prior to this so I'd say my treatment of these machines has been 'tender'!

I hope this doesn't scare you off the X series. They're a **** of a machine.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

I'm going to make the decision tomorrow re new mower/model. Appreciate the timely feedback. Good luck with AM141536.

Tractor
    JD X540

I just went to the dealer today to inspect my new X540. It will see first use this weekend. It is an upgrade from my still very solid running LX188.

And what an upgrade it is! It does appear to be built like a tank. It is also very quiet. I do hope that the PTO issue is improving. On every other level, the X540 seems to be one of JD's best home tractors for the $$.

I need it too last a long time

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Is the clutch rusting together? Wonder what is causing the "lockup"?
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    JD X540

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post
    Is the clutch rusting together? Wonder what is causing the "lockup"?
    My quess from reading this post: Inadequate bearings in the PTO! The bearings are sealed, and should never rust.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    I'm going to make the decision tomorrow re new mower/model. Appreciate the timely feedback. Good luck with AM141536.
    The decision was made. Bought an X500 today. Hopefully the clutch problem has been fixed? Time will tell.

Tractor
    Deere X540

Based on the limited discussion of it over the years here I'm sure you'll be fine. Congratulations, you're gonna love it! The clutch on mine will be replaced Tuesday so we can compare notes going forward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast