lt166 throwing drive belt at rear

/ lt166 throwing drive belt at rear #1  

denno

Tractor
John Deere LT166
In fact, seems it did so at a peculiar moment, like when I stopped and turned the machine off.
Not much of a pain to pop it back on, but...

Belt is a little worn. Need a new one? Will it be tighter?
Guy who sold it to me said there is an adjuster up front next to the pulley; loosen screws and move it a bit? Or something?

OK, update: my wife just came back in and reported that the belt came off the rear pulley when she hit some high grass. Earlier she mowed for 45 minutes without a problem.

I'm looking online, but all I can find is instructions for tightening the PTO belt. Not the one I am talking about. This is the main power belt for the tractor, not the deck.

What do I do so this doesn't happen any more? (all I want to do is mow!)

Thanks.

/ lt166 throwing drive belt at rear
Man alive!
My wife and I changed the drive belt. Found some instructions online, though not exactly for the lt166. Some instructions in the repair manual. Some intuition. Had to take apart about 7 elements to get the old belt out and the new one in. Some English and some metric nuts to unscrew, most of them frozen pretty badly. Had to take the whole idler assembly out to get at one of the nuts with enough leverage.
Afterward had to adjust the tension on the belt so mower would keep running when the brake was released, That one was in the manual, and was easy.
Guess it took 4-5 hours. Possibly 1 hr next time. Believe me, if it throws the new belt after all this, straight to the JD dealer 28 miles away!
One clue for y'all: removing or reinstalling springs, hook a tool or, in our case, a nylon cord over the thing and one person stand outside the machine and pull.

Tomorrow we wrestle the deck back on and try mowing again.

whee!

/ lt166 throwing drive belt at rear #3  
Good on ya for getting it done.

These things get easier (not necessarily more fun) the more you do them. ;)

/ lt166 throwing drive belt at rear
Thanks. Sounds about right.

denno