X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage?

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #1  

Grateful11

Veteran Member
Our X720 seems to be burning better than a gallon and hour, more like 1.5 gallons/hour. We can get about 5-6 hours of mowing time out of a full tank. To us that seems like a lot. Is this about right? We have over 150 hours on it. We were hoping it would get better after it broke in but it hasn't.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #2  
Our X720 seems to be burning better than a gallon and hour, more like 1.5 gallons/hour. We can get about 5-6 hours of mowing time out of a full tank. To us that seems like a lot. Is this about right? We have over 150 hours on it. We were hoping it would get better after it broke in but it hasn't.

Your mower has a 6.5 gallon tank, sounds like close to 1 gal /hr. to me. Alot depends on the grass you are cutting.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #3  
My priorities when buying my most recent tractor was that it be four wheel drive (of any type) and be a Diesel. Economy, economy, economy. Same reason both of our cars are Diesel although our next car will be all-electric.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #4  
I don't know which engine is in your X720, but my old 345 has a liquid cooled Kawasaki V-twin engine and it too has a voracious appetite for gasoline. I also burn over a gallon an hour mowing with a 54" mower. I'm planning on replacing it with a X740 and my only hold up is deciding whether or not the cost/benefit for a 7-iron mower is worth the extra money. I don't like the way the lush spring/early summer grass residue builds up under my present 54" mower. If the 7-iron doesn't have that problem, I'll gladly pay the additional $$.

Bill

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #5  
I can't imagine that it is the same engine, but my X500 burns gas like crazy. Easily a gallon an hour - probably more.

In contrast, my diesel kubota b6000 has a two or three gallon tank and I hardly ever need to fill it up.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #6  
From another site, the big gassers burn 1.2 gph and the diesels 0.9; those are both at 3/4 load. Your consumption seems normal. I have not measured it but my 455 seems to get much better than that 0.9 rating.

Tim

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #7  
1.2 GPH on my X729. 2011 with a 5.5 gallon tank.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #8  
I don't like the way the lush spring/early summer grass residue builds up under my present 54" mower. If the 7-iron doesn't have that problem, I'll gladly pay the additional $$.

Bill

If i'm not mistaken the 700 series has a deck wash feature that addresses that problem.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #9  
If i'm not mistaken the 700 series has a deck wash feature that addresses that problem.

The deck wash port is worse than useless. It doesn't do a good job of removing the grass from the underside of the deck. It only adds moisture, resulting in additional rust.

/ X700 series owners w/Gas engine, how's your fuel usage? #10  
My 425 burns about 1 gal/hour. So, I'd say your burn rate is about right.