D140 won't move

/ D140 won't move #1  

merc

Tractor
John Deere D140
Hi-This is my 1st post. I live in NH.
While cutting the grass my tractor just stopped moving.
I tried forward and reverse. The engine stays rnning strong but won't move.
I looked to see if a belt slipped or broke but didn't see anything.
It is hard to describe but when I push on the drive pedal it seems to make a whirring noise like it is trying to move.
Where should I look or what should I look at to see a problem?
thanks

/ D140 won't move #2  
:welcome: to the forum.
Will the mower deck engage?

Anything change leading up to the tractor not responding to forward/reverse?

Has the tranny been put in push mode?
That is the push/pull rod that sticks out the rear below the seat. Be sure it is pushed in all the way.

/ D140 won't move #3  
With a helper, take a look at the transmission fan. With the park brake off, and the engine running, it should be spinning.

If it is, the drive belt is not broken. Next, step on the forward pedal and see if the fan keeps turning. If it slows or stops, the belt is slipping. If it keeps spinning, the problem is in the trans. or an axle is spinning in a wheel. (If that is possible) To check for a spinning axle, just remove the center cap on the real wheel. Check both sides....

Another possibility is the trans pulley. It may be stripped on the trans input shaft. Look at the shaft in the center of the fan. Is it turning with the fan?
The pulley may also be spinning without the fan turning. = Stripped pulley.

/ D140 won't move
Thank you guys.
I found the drive belt that goes to the pully just below the fan under the seat just above the tranny. The belt is not on the pully. It is jambed between the pully and fan wheel.
I did even see or know there was another belt the 1st time I looked under. All I could see was the mower deck belt(s) and they were on and still nice and tight.
Bottom line is you guys pointed me in the right direction.
thanks

/ D140 won't move #5  
That is your traction drive belt..... It connects the engine to the transmission. The brake pedal slackens that belt when it is applied. Since the belt 'came off.' It will probably need to be replaced.

I cannot say for sure, but there is probably an adjustable idler pulley to set the slack in the belt, so it won't fall off again. When a belt does 'fall off', there is always a reason why it did.

/ D140 won't move #6  
I also have had problems with the drive belt on my D 140. I have only had it for a season and a half and have had to have the drive belt change twice. The dealer says that something is getting wedge in the belt and shredding it. I just can't image what it could be and for it to have happen twice?!! I was wondering if this is a running problem with the D 140. We payed the extra money to get a good quality mower and have had nothing but problems. Very frustrated.

/ D140 won't move #7  
I also have had problems with the drive belt on my D 140. I have only had it for a season and a half and have had to have the drive belt change twice. The dealer says that something is getting wedge in the belt and shredding it. I just can't image what it could be and for it to have happen twice?!! I was wondering if this is a running problem with the D 140. We payed the extra money to get a good quality mower and have had nothing but problems. Very frustrated.

Use your warranty and have the dealer fix it before it is too late.

/ D140 won't move #8  
I havent had any problems with my D140 since I bought in April, with the exception of a blown tire (drove over some sticker bushes) but the Lowes attendant gave me a free tire since it happened almost right away. I figure its better to burn the bushes and weeds on my trail next time, or I'll just use my old push mower for that. I really wish I had a series one tractor or higher peice of equipment to help make my mile trail.

/ D140 won't move #9  
I havent had any problems with my D140 since I bought in April, with the exception of a blown tire (drove over some sticker bushes) but the Lowes attendant gave me a free tire since it happened almost right away. I figure its better to burn the bushes and weeds on my trail next time, or I'll just use my old push mower for that. I really wish I had a series one tractor or higher peice of equipment to help make my mile trail.

Hi Mike

I don't have a D140, but the belt came off my LX188 lawn tractor. It was same as above, the thing just came loose because the dealer did not re-install it right. I had to remove the deck and prop up all 4 wheels way up in the air so I could get under there and see what was going on. I got that back together and then there was a horrible squeeling noise when I put the deck back on. A pulley on the deck had disintegrated. Another trip to the dealer. Put the pulley on and SNAP went the spring that holds the tension. By the time I made the 4th trip an hour each way for parts, I was ready to go buy a Husqvarna lawn tractor, but I finally got it going. Being able to look up parts on the JD web site and having the CD repair manual helps.

BTW

I must maintain 2 miles of trails on the 100 acres up here. I finally replaced my 2 front tires after about 20 patches in each, from running over chunks of Hawthorne. I have a JD15 cart that I put the chain saw, 1" Corona loppers (for brush cutting), and other tools in for brushing and sawing out the initial trail. I used to exclusively use the JD2305 with 4' brusher, but it chops up the thorns and you have a zillion pieces to clean up that go throug the tires instead of dragging the sticker bush or thorn tree off the trail. I spray the stumps with Garlon 4 and diesel to keep the brush from re-sprouting.

If you put in a lot of trails, a Billygoat Outback or DR mower does good on smaller brush and a Stihl brushcutter with buzz saw blade for bigger thorn trees leaves no staubs. Once you get the trail "clean", a lawn tractor works fairly well. A 4 gallon sprayer with brush killer along the trail will keep down maintenance.

HPIM0406.JPG

Here is a trail that was cleaned out with loppers, saw, etc. The pile of thorn trees is ready to burn. The catch is, you need the clean trails as fire breaks before you burn the thorn bushes.

/ D140 won't move #10  
With a helper, take a look at the transmission fan. With the park brake off, and the engine running, it should be spinning.

If it is, the drive belt is not broken. Next, step on the forward pedal and see if the fan keeps turning. If it slows or stops, the belt is slipping. If it keeps spinning, the problem is in the trans. or an axle is spinning in a wheel. (If that is possible) To check for a spinning axle, just remove the center cap on the real wheel. Check both sides....

Another possibility is the trans pulley. It may be stripped on the trans input shaft. Look at the shaft in the center of the fan. Is it turning with the fan?
The pulley may also be spinning without the fan turning. = Stripped pulley.
I changed my drive belt and it still won’t move. The fan spins disengaged and engaged. It will move a little if I push it as the forward pedal is being pushed. Any idea what it could be? Thanks