X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #1  

Retired Iron Peddler

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC, Kubota RTV 900, JD Z655, JD 345, MM-BF
How difficult is it to remove and re-install the 7-Iron mower on a X700 series tractor? Can the gauge wheels be turned sidewise and the mower deck rolled out from under the tractor? I am still trying to decide if I want the 7-Iron mower deck on a X740.

I have an older 345 with a 54" deck and it's very easy to remove and re-install the mower deck by changing to gauge wheels to sidewise and rolling the mower deck from under the tractor and was wondering if the 7-Iron is the same.

Bill

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower
Thanks for the link. The video makes it look easy, but he only drove forward and then in reverse so nothing moved and everything stayed in alignment.

How difficult is it to get the tractor lift arms engaged in the mower at the rear when backing over the mower? How difficult is it to re-connect the mower driveshaft?

I noticed he left out re-setting the mower gauge wheels in order for the mower to lower completely to the ground.

Bill

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #4  
You may have to just go with what you know and stick with the yellow 54" deck. You'll be able to rotate the gauge wheels 90* and simply roll the deck out the side. Yes the mid mount PTO shafts are more to handle than a belt. The only thing that may be better is one series auto-connect with auto PTO option.

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #5  
I believe the wheels can turn 90degrees and be pinned. If not, drill them out. One thing I have done is put a pin with the snap hook on the top of the caster wheels for the mowing poisition. Yes the pin and lever lock the wheels in position but the added pin above allows me to remember where my mowing position is.

The pto hooks up is easy

This is the best deck I have ever seen come from deere. Spundles are ginormous. deere finally sped up the blades. Blades sound like a helicopter.

If you plan on keeping the mower for 10 to15 years get the green deck. I actually enjoy taking the this deck off and putting on the snowblower. It is that easy.

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #6  
I have a X748se with the 7 Iron. Driving over it is very easy. Hooking and unhooking is also a snap. The alignment issue is pretty easy. I would not want to slide it in from the side. First it is seriously heavier than the yellow decks.

Second it expects to be mounted by driving into it. Not having the deck approach it sideways. Sideways would be a huge pain. Why suffer needlessly when Deere designed it to drive over and mount/dismount easily.

Andy

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #7  
I had the 7-Iron deck on my X748. I agree with the other posters here it is the best deck Deere has produced. Once I figured out exactly how to approach the deck and align the left wheel it was a simple up and over maneuver. Then it was just a case of rotating the front attaching bracket into place, adjust gauge wheels and your done. The only part I struggled with was attaching the pto shaft. I never found an alternative to lying on the ground or garage floor to attach the shaft. It always seemed like the rear gauge wheel post was jamming into my rib cage. Of course, this is the case with all of the mowers on the X700 series so it isn't unique to the 7-Iron deck.

I found a little trick that helped and that was to raise the mower just a bit so that I could rotate the blades with the deck belt in case the pto spline isn't in perfect alignment. Of course with all of these decks you are left with some grease on your hands so you can't go from installing your mower to church without some clean-up time.

In the end I resolved the problem with lying on the ground to attach the pto shaft. I traded the 748 for the new 1026R with 60" 7-Iron auto connect deck. The attaching and detaching of the mower deck amazing. It is literally 30 seconds to remove and 60 second to attach. There have been a few complaints that if the adjustments aren't perfect that installing the deck is difficult but mine works great.

But back to the issue of the 7-Iron deck on the X700 series tractors, in my opinion it was the best $500 I ever spent. I had the 62" deck on my X595 and while that was a good deck, the 7-Iron is better.

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #8  
I have a 54" deck on my 748. I found that for me it is easier to unhook & attach the PTO from the rear of the tractor. I am short & reaching the PTO from the side is difficult. I would imagine on a wider deck it would be even worse. It works well for me on the 748 but I could not do it so easy on my old 455 AWS, to many things in the way with the rear wheel steering.

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #9  
I have a 54" deck on my 748. I found that for me it is easier to unhook & attach the PTO from the rear of the tractor. I am short & reaching the PTO from the side is difficult. I would imagine on a wider deck it would be even worse. It works well for me on the 748 but I could not do it so easy on my old 455 AWS, to many things in the way with the rear wheel steering.

That's interesting. We'll have to try that next time. It's hard to reach even for someone lying on the ground.

/ X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower #10  
Anyone know if the 60 inch 7 iron deck for the X700 series will fit an X595?
I have heard great things about the 7 iron deck and sure wish I could get the 7 iron deck for my 07 X744 AWS.

I know the local Deere dealer has an X595 in on trade and am considering trading my 95 Deere 455AWS with 60" deck in on it, so that perhaps I can put the 60 inch 7 iron deck on at a later date.

Jason B