320 stalling out

/ 320 stalling out #1  

Gumby542

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 320
After looking at the 420 project, I stayed with my 320. I went to mow today, after mowing 30 min yesterday. Ran fine yesterday. The battery light has never gone off since I've owned it, even with the new battery. Today, I mowed 5 min and it started stalling out. It seemed to stay running longer if I left the choke on, but would still stall out eventually. I put the charger on it, and it ran another 5 min before dying out. I'm wondering if I'm dealing with 2 problems, charging system and fuel pump, but not sure. Any thoughts?

/ 320 stalling out #2  
Fix the charging system first. No engine runs good with low battery voltage.

If you have to put the choke on to stay running, then most likely you have a dirty carburetor.

/ 320 stalling out
It's only when is issue happens, otherwise, the engine runs perfectly. My plan was electrical first, so I'll start there

/ 320 stalling out
So I ordered the regulator since I'll I can get is 10.5 volts coming to the battery.

So the tractor ran beautiful for 1/2 an hour. Then it stalled out and the issue started again. However, this time I got some more clues. There was NO fuel in the filter. It took time to get fuel back in, once I did it started back up, but th it ran dry again. How does this fuel system work? Is it gravity feed or is there a pump somewhere?

/ 320 stalling out #5  
I'm having this exact issue. Used to have where only one cylinder would go in and out, while the other always ran. Replaced Denso ignition module and that is resolved.

Did you get your issue corrected?

/ 320 stalling out
The issue I had was the slide in the carb. Had a small "catch" on it that caused it to hang up.

The battery issue I replaced the voltage regulator and it was still there. I ended up cleaning up all the connections and it went away

/ 320 stalling out #7  
The issue I had was the slide in the carb. Had a small "catch" on it that caused it to hang up.

The battery issue I replaced the voltage regulator and it was still there. I ended up cleaning up all the connections and it went away

Can you tell me which part is the slide? I'm not an expert in this area but would like to give it a shot.

Here is link to carb from JD Website:

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Thanks,
JA

/ 320 stalling out
Sorry- ill have to look tomorrow at work. We only have iPads here at home and I can't see the parts catalog. If it helps for now, it was the piece where the float rides. The float was catching and Not being able to open and let fuel in

/ 320 stalling out #9  
So I took it all apart and cleaned the needle. Worked like a charm for about 30 minutes and then stalled out again.

I didn't sand the needle or dremmel out the seat. Did you have to do those things to get it fixed? The float is moving fine within the bowl.

Thanks