LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Guys,

My LX266 has ~211 hours on it. Last weekend mowing when I engage the PTO for the mower it makes noise like there are rocks in a gearbox, or like something is loose and hitting something else. At first I thought the bleds were hitting each other, but I've checked and that seems impossible.

I am certain it simply means I need to do some sort of maintenance that I have not done because I do not have an owners manual, etc...

Any ideas?

THanks in advance,
David

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #2  
Which deck? The one with a timing belt maybe?

The description of the sound .... does it sound like a ticking, or random scramble of noise?

Does it vary in pitch with rpm change?

Look for any shiny spots on the deck or at the tips of the blades, to see if the blade is contacting the deck. Sometimes a small bend in the deck will do this, and sometimes a stick will bend a blade. Both should be checked out.

Also, remove the spindle covers to see if a stick or debris has found its way under a cover.

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged
beenthere,

It is a random sound. Honestly it sounds like roks sucked up into the mower like when I get too close to the driveway and hit a high spot.

I worked all day yesterday on a chicken pen, so I did not get it up on a lramp to look for shiny spots. I did engage the mower a bit as I used it to transport hay bales with a trailer.

I did notice last week the ends of the blade nearest the exit are rough on the tips (Like i said, I thought the blades were hitting). While up on the car ramps I did rotate the blades and they were not hitting anything.

Thanks for the response sir!
Be well,
David

UPDATE!

How can I tell if I have the timing belt version?

This morning I tried mowing for a short distance and it was fine but as I mowed after a couple min it started making banging noises, and they steadily got worse to the point I shut the mower off for fear of it breaking.

Does this help diagnose my problem?

This is my primary mower and I need it...

Thanks in advance,
David

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #5  
When you grab the blade do they move up and down? If they do the spindles are shot.

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #7  
If you want to fix it right, take the deck off. Take off belt covers. Turn blades by hand. Try to move blade up and down. Take off belt and spin each blade by hand. Spindle is broke or bearings are bad, but reallly, just check things out. Running it like it is, is going to make whatever is bad worse.

If you want to fix it right, take the deck off. Take off belt covers. Turn blades by hand. Try to move blade up and down. Take off belt and spin each blade by hand. Spindle is broke or bearings are bad, but reallly, just check things out. Running it like it is, is going to make whatever is bad worse.

Ron,

I do not have the manual. Is there a place on the web that will tell me how to drop the mower deck off?

If it is spindle or berings, am I toast? Is it time to start looking for a new compatible deck?

Is 210 hours a lot for a mower? this seems like early to be having major problems to me...

Thanks in advance.

David

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #9  
Looks like you have a few spring loaded pins on either side of the deck in the back to release. The belt tension rod needs released. Can't tell by the parts look-up how the front of your deck is hooked up, but take a good look, I'm sure you can figure it out.
"If it is spindle or berings, am I toast? Is it time to start looking for a new compatible deck?"
No, those things are all part of maintenance.
"Is 210 hours a lot for a mower? this seems like early to be having major problems to me..."
No, that isn't alot, and this isn't by any means a major problem, just the joys of owning a riding mower! Every year, either at the end or beginning of mowing season, you should clean up the tractor, change the oil, clean/change the air filter, clean regap/change the spark plugs, grease etc. Remove and inspect deck, sharpen/replace blades, grease spindles and look for any potential problems. A lot of times you will find something you didn't know was broke or about to break just by cleaning things up. Good luck, you'll figure out the problem.

Looks like you have a few spring loaded pins on either side of the deck in the back to release. The belt tension rod needs released. Can't tell by the parts look-up how the front of your deck is hooked up, but take a good look, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Ron,

I know the front is a bar on the deck and hooks on the mower.

I had the tractor serviced at a local "small engine" mower shop the end of last season but I've been planning to start doing it myself. No time like the present.

I assume the "parts Lookup" is on the JD website? Is that the best place for me to go looking?

Thanks again,
David