john deere g110 smoking

/ john deere g110 smoking #1  

petenchit

Tractor
john deere g110
I have a JD g110 2004 with a kohler cv730 motor. I got it cheap cause the owner was told the motor was going bad. blue smoke comes from the exaust I was told it was a head gasket so I bought the kit pulled the valve cover off and notice a white gooey build up by the breather and down by the exaust. can a breather go bad if so how can you tell. I am stumped thanks

/ john deere g110 smoking #2  
:welcome: to the forum

Sounds like blowby from possibly bad valves, maybe rings. Moisture condensing the exhaust may create the white goo. What are your plans? Compression check reveal any symptoms/problems?
I don't know how a 'breather' can go bad. But something deeper inside is likely the cause.

/ john deere g110 smoking
How difficult is it to change valves. Also if the oil breather seal was cracked around the seal could that have something to do with it. Don't know what my plan is. Should I just do everything since I have the head off and how difficult is it to change rings. Thanks again

/ john deere g110 smoking #4  
Not difficult if you know what you are doing. Don't mean that as a slam on you.
But there are tricks to the trade that one needs to know to avoid making a mess of the "insides". If you have a chance to get into a community college for a short course, and use this engine as your project, then it would be the best of both worlds. Otherwise, finding a friend or aquaintance to give you pointers as you go along is another way. I've only been about half-way down that path, but wouldn't try out my mechanical skills on an engine that I wanted to get running.
I did a complete overhaul of a WI 4 cyl air cooled for a skid steer, but had some good help working alongside me to keep me out of trouble.
Years ago my father changed out the rings and bearings and valves in our '49 Fork pickup without removing the engine block from the truck. Over the fenders and crawling underneath, some of which I helped with as I was about 12 yrs old at the time. Unheated lean-to shed to the barn is what I remember the most. But I was the first to get to drive it to the farm down the road where I had a job milking cows. Hit a slippery patch and did a 360 deg in the middle of the road. :)