John Deere 1026

/ John Deere 1026 #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
Why does deere keep changing model numbers every couple years ? I am sure within the series the components are the same and with a few minor changes they have a " new and improved model " for those keeping up with the Jones's.
My 4110 is eight model years old with 267 hours. I am sure if I replaced the plastic panels I could find a 1026 hiding under the frame work, minus a couple hp that is.

/ John Deere 1026 #2  
It is frustrating to have an "old" model (mine is a '69 4300) and be so soon obsolete.
You can go to jdparts and look up part numbers to see if they changed (and I'm sure they did, and maybe not always for the better). Try adding attachments and likely find out what has changed. CA and their EPA regs are responsible for a lot of changes that make models worse year after year.
I am sure they change for several reasons... none the least to give us a reason to trade "up".
Also, their engineers are chomping at the bit to get their new designs implemented on a new line of models.
Deere seems to be making good money (thanks to us) and have that formula figured out pretty good all in all.

/ John Deere 1026 #3  
Why does deere keep changing model numbers every couple years ? I am sure within the series the components are the same and with a few minor changes they have a " new and improved model " for those keeping up with the Jones's.
My 4110 is eight model years old with 267 hours. I am sure if I replaced the plastic panels I could find a 1026 hiding under the frame work, minus a couple hp that is.

You will not find a 1026 hiding there. You might some parts of the 2520/2720 though.

/ John Deere 1026
The only reason to change hydraulics or transmission / axle combinations in this series is they found another supplier that will charge less per unit. This stuff is practically bullet proof and lasts way beyond the warranty period. Tires / wheels the same.. maybe a size wider or taller. Frame still iron plate front to back. Hood plastic different shape and probably thinner to promote future sales in the parts department. Little tweaks here and there but I don't see any major changes besides style. Magically sometimes the total weight is less as castings are carved thin to the latest engineer specs.
One thing you can count on is the price going up and in some cases quality not changing or possibly headed in the wrong direction. There is a reason some of us like old.... tried and true. Too many computers leads to time in the repair shop at very high hourly rates not to metion availability of discontinued electronics.
The automotive business makes appearance changes mostly for style. ( they all pretty much look the same now ) Tractors are purchased for a specific set of duties in size clasification. Swoopy hoods and fancy dash components are selling points only..... nothing new and exciting to add to the performance of mechanical energy and machine durability.

/ John Deere 1026 #5  
:)
Now we know the answer to the OP question.

/ John Deere 1026 #6  
The new 1023/1026 series is pretty much a complete re-design. Sure, it shares characteristics with other tractors (across brands, not just within the older Deere lineup) but Deere really started with a clean sheet of paper on this one. I think they recognized that the previous 2305 was not a class leader in the sub-compact market, and they addressed that with a redesign. It's easy to tell them apart if you compare side to side and look at some of the features -- the 1000 series definitely as a more modern, more thoughtful design, as if Deere did their homework understanding the target customer. They are a heck of a lot friendlier in terms of mounting accessories and implements than their predecessors.

Lord knows why manufacturers change model numbers from time to time, but in this case I think it makes sense to pitch the 1000 series as below the 2000 series, but above the 300/500/700 models.