John Deere 318 Starting Problem

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #1  

Lantz

Tractor
John Deere 318
I have a John Deere 318 and while using it a couple of weeks ago I shut it off and when I went to restart it nothing. Since then I have replaced the ignition switch, checked the neutral safety switch and the seat safety switch, checked the 2 fuses, and checked the inline fuse. I can get it to start if i cross the 2 terminals on the starter. The only thing that happens when i turn the key to the start position is a clicking noise every 20-25 seconds.

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #2  
I would check the battery and make sure all of the electrical connections are clean and tight. Also make sure that your PTO switch is off.
Good luck,
Ken :)

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #3  
Hi Lantz and WELCOME TO TBN

Does your 318 have the P218G?
If so,it is very possible being you have to manually jump the starter connection,you aren't getting sufficient current to the starter. JD came out with a fix for this very problem. Just about every 316 and 318 with Onans have suffered this problem at one time or another.
JD #AM107421 is the starter improvement kit for the P218G. It basically uses a relay picked by the ignition switch to provide current to the starter solenoid.

Greg

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem
Thanks I have looked at the starter improvement kit for my 318. But why would it go from working perfectly fine without any starting issues to turning the key and it doing nothing. Besides the dash lights lighting up and the breaker resetting every 20-25 seconds.

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #5  
because thats how things fail- i would install the starter improvement kit- John Deere does not offer something like this because it's a small prob but a larger one.-if its not your problem you will prob have prevented one down the road.

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #6  
because thats how things fail- i would install the starter improvement kit- John Deere does not offer something like this because it's a small prob but a larger one.-if its not your problem you will prob have prevented one down the road.

How hard is this kit to install?

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #7  
How hard is this kit to install?

Fairly easy, I did my 318 about 10 years ago and if I remember right the hardest part was reaching one of the nuts on the starter with my large hands.

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #8  
Fairly easy, I did my 318 about 10 years ago and if I remember right the hardest part was reaching one of the nuts on the starter with my large hands.

Thanks for the reply Eric,can you remember if it helped with the hard starting . Thanks Dennis

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #9  
Thanks for the reply Eric,can you remember if it helped with the hard starting . Thanks Dennis

Yes it helped a lot. The only time i have any starting problems now are if the battery is going bad or the battery terminals get corroded.

/ John Deere 318 Starting Problem #10  
As stated by GLC24 your no start problem is probably low voltage getting to the starter when the key is turned to the start position. Most of us have had this problem one time or the other. Cub Cadets were famous for it. The corrective fix is not that expensive and gives added comfort when starting the mower.

How to fix a no-start or a clicking sound when key turned to start when battery is fully charged.

Purchase a five (5) spade terminal relay. I like the type with a tab. This allows the placement of the relay near the starter with a sheet metal screw. Some like the type that mounts through the use of a bracket. The relay needs to have the following terminals, 30-85-86-87-87a. An auto parts store or Radio Shack can supply. Or, if you want to spend big bucks purchase the John Deere Kit.

Remove the wire from the key switch to the starter solenoid. (Remove the wire at the solenoid - pull from the spade terminal)If you are lucky, install this wire on terminal # 85 on the relay.

If unlucky splice a wire onto the wire so it will reach where you have mounted the relay. Connect a wire to terminal # 86 and attach the other end of the wire to a good ground.

Install a wire on the terminal on the starter where you previously removed the wire from the switch, attach the other end of the wire to terminal # 30 on the relay.

Install a wire with a 20 amp inline fuse on the main battery wire at the starter or another 12 volt source. Connect the other end of this new 12 volt source to terminal # 87 on the relay.

No wires should be connected to terminal # 87a.

Now when you turn the key to start, the voltage from the switch collapses the relay and the new 12 volt source energizes the starter.