Got a hand-me-down JD LT155.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #1  

mkgsup

Tractor
John Deere LT155
My father purchased this John Deere LT155 with the freedom deck new in 98 and just recently decided to replace it for a new model with a bagger. I mowed yards with this one during my summers home from college and now I've got it full time. The big down side is that my father is not easy on equipment and has not down any maintence in 5 years. He used to have it serviced every spring until his local JD dealer was closed in favor of a new larger dealership that did not have good customer service. I've just purchased the maintence kit to get started, but need ideas as to what else I need to be on the look out for.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #3  
Good to have you aboard. Check with your Father and see if he has any manuals for that model. If not, obtaining an operators and maintenance manual would be in your best interest. Best wishes.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #5  
While you are servicing it check the belts very carefully and replace any that are cracked on the inside. Remove the deck belt and spin the blade spindles. If the bearings are at all rough replace them. Check any idlers for roughness. Check and sharpen the blades make sure they have not been sharpened too many times and have been ground down too far. Check the front wheel bearings by jacking up the front end and spinning them look for excess slop and/or roughness. Check the spindles for excess movement and also the steering linkages for excess movement. Don't forget to check your tire pressures. Keep your eyes open for leaks and loose, broken or bent parts. That, with a change of all the lubes, a check for leaks and new filters and plugs, and unless it is leaking or running poorly and you should be good to go.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155.
Thanks oldtractorfixer for the advice. I'm trying to cover everything you mentioned over the next few weeks. I just gave it a good cleaning from top to bottom so I can actually see now if there's any leaks and changed all filters along with the oil. Glad you mentioned the front wheels as I had not thought about those.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #7  
Welcome to the forums from Oklahoma.

Ken

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #9  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the John Deere Lawn & Garden Forum.

/ Got a hand-me-down JD LT155. #10  
Re: Synthetic grease??

A post of mine I put on another tractor forum.

Rob

I don't know anything about your x300, but I would use caution on what grease you use, it should tell you what John Deere recommends in your manual.

They have a lot of specific greases for different things now days.

Also go according to your manual.

I'm telling you this because the mower deck on my LT155 has grease fittings on it, but the manual for it says do not grease the mower deck because its all set from the factory and if you grease it you may blow out the seals.

They list three different size decks, mine is 38'' and I would have to go out and look but I believe you need to grease the other two but not the 38'' one.

I bought the LT155 new 12 years old and I haven't even touched the belt for the mower deck, so it has payed off for me to take the time and see what needs greased and with what type.

I have all kinds of grease in my hobby shop from wheel bearing to poly to some of the specilty greases, but when it came time to grease my X728 John Deere I went to the dealer and got the right grease, and when I used it, it was green colored.

Makes me think if I ever have to take it in for warranty work they will see that green grease, and what would I have said if they saw it was brown colored grease.

I can hear em now, oh yeah, right, he took good care of it

Rob