john deere 445 starting issues

/ john deere 445 starting issues #1  

jsivy

Tractor
john deere 445
I recently bought a '98 445. It ran good and only had 650 hrs. I was mowing and shut it off for 15 mins. Went to start it up again and it ran for a second then died. Keeps doing that. Seems like running out of fuel so I replaced the fuel filter. Same thing. Took fuel line off and turned key on and the pump worked fine. Checked spark and getting good spark to both cylinders. If I take one spark plug out, the tractor will run on one cylinder (either side). If I just pull a plug wire it will not start. Vacuum issues? Any help would be appreciated.

/ john deere 445 starting issues #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

That is a puzzlement. Do you have the service manual?
Is the fuel shutoff working right?

The alternate removal of plugs may be a clue, but it is beyond me.

/ john deere 445 starting issues
I do not have a service manual. How do you check the fuel shut off? I called the local deere dealer and the mechanic never heard of this. Is there a pressure regulator and could that be an issue?

I just found on another forum that a guy had the exact same problem as me. Someone suggested taking the gas cap off to see if gas was spraying back into the tank. Mine is. Sounds like I need to replace fuel line inside tank from pump to the connecting clamp.

/ john deere 445 starting issues #5  
I have seen that 2" long piece of 5/16" hose fail as well. That particular 445 would start and idle, but no power to mow or move.

/ john deere 445 starting issues #6  
I do not have a service manual. How do you check the fuel shut off? I called the local deere dealer and the mechanic never heard of this. Is there a pressure regulator and could that be an issue?

I checked the service manual regards the fuel solenoid and found partial information. According to the index, attach. 1, there is a fuel shutoff solenoid.
Assuming the manual is correct, there is an amperage test per attach. 2 and attach 3.
Then in addition, there is reference to the fuel injector test as well as the fuel injector module. See attach. 4.

My son bought my 445, and so far has had no problems that I've heard about. I have the X485 which is the next model up and have not had any fuel injection problems. Also, have not compared the service manual for the X485 to see what it says but assume the engine fuel systems are near identical.

Now, all that said, I am still not sure that there is a fuel shutoff on the 445. Seems info is void on that fact in the manual schematics other than what is attached.

Attachments

• 445_fuel_solenoid_index.JPG
    445_fuel_solenoid_index.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 445_fuel_solenoid_amp_test_1.JPG
    445_fuel_solenoid_amp_test_1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 445_fuel_solenoid_amp_test_2.JPG
    445_fuel_solenoid_amp_test_2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 633
  • 445_fuel_injector_test.JPG
    445_fuel_injector_test.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 775
Thanks for the info, I will you keep you posted on what I find this weekend. Thanks again

/ john deere 445 starting issues #8  
If this model has a TDM (time delay module) give it a try. For $15 worth a try.

/ john deere 445 starting issues #9  
jd3x
Not showing up as such in the index on the service manual. Another name by chance?

And jsivy, what serial number? Over or under the 70000, as there were some changes at that break.

replaced the two inch line inside the fuel tank. I took it apart and there was a one inch split in a two inch hose. Easy fix. Had me baffled for sure. Thank you all for your help. If there are any quustions please don't hesitate