Pics of 318 tweaks

/ Pics of 318 tweaks #1  

heviduty

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST/LA463 loader JD 318 / 3ph(cat. 0)
Just thought I'd share some tweaks to my 318, made over the years to make life simpler, for me anyway.

I've had my 318 since 2003. It is a first year, 1983 model with 1175 hours. It has been used to mow my acre yard and keep up our 800' road for almost 10 years. We don't get many opportunities to push snow here in the South.

Anyhoo, to the tweaks. These aren't major changes, like an engine upgrade, just subtle things.

Battery disconnect: My 318 is stored in a garage with my truck and all my stuff, so I didn't want to take a chance of something happening unexpectedly to the electric system. It only takes a couple of seconds to raise the hood and spin the disconnect loose a couple of rounds.

Primer bulb: The tractor sits for weeks or months at a time during winter months, and to prevent grinding on the starter to fill up the carburetor bowl that first time, My brother, who I bought the tractor from, installed a primer bulb for a boat gas tank. It works great. When starting for the first time, I just turn on the fuel and squeeze the bulb a couple of times to fill the carb, then it starts right up.

3 point hitch: Found this right after I bought the tractor. It was at the local JD dealership. Looked like it had been there for a while. Got it for $400. Best thing I ever did for the tractor. I found a cat. 0 scrape blade, then a couple years later, a box blade. I have a set of lug tires mounted on spare rims I put on when maintaining the road. With me on it, it doesn't need rear ballast (although there has been the occasional rare-up where the front could have used some).

Mower deck hangers: Only took a couple of times of dragging the deck out and pushing it back in when converting from mowing to road maintenance to think there must be a better way. These hangers are my better way. When I want to use the 3ph. I raise the deck and install one of these on each side. The bolts in the deck and holes in the frame are already there, so this was simply a matter of buying two turnbuckles, one with hooks and one with eyes, then swapping one hook with one eye. After adjusting so they slipped on when the deck is lifted by hand a quarter inch or so, I beat them flat with a hammer to lock them, and slipped a piece of hose on them so my big ol' fingers can get a good grip on them. With the hangers in place, the 3ph can be used while the mower stays up, out of the way.

Choke return spring: If you've ever mowed half the yard before discovering the choke is still half way out, install a choke return spring. You have to hold the choke out a few seconds when cold, but it's worth it to me to not worry about fouling plugs or washing the cylinder walls.

Lift setting keeper: There is no lock nut on the hydraulic lift adjustment. I kept a small vise grip clamped on the adjusting screw for years, but it was still aggravating to unclamp it every time when switching from road work to mowing. I came up with this piece of strapping and a spring to keep the adjusting screw from turning while mowing. When setting up for road work, flip the lock off and turn the screw out 10 rounds, when mowing, turn it back in 10 rounds and pop the lock back on.

Rear remotes: These are teed off the front remotes and are controlled by the inside lever. I haven't used them yet, but I like knowing they're there.

Spinner knob: Old school, but I like it.

That's about it. The 318 is essentially retired, and will only be used occasionally for mailbox runs just to keep it fresh. It has been replaced by a Kubota L3400 and a Snapper 400Z (for the wife).

Attachments

• DSC01601 (Large).JPG
    DSC01601 (Large).JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,198
  • DSC01613 (Large).JPG
    DSC01613 (Large).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 568
  • DSC01599 (Large).JPG
    DSC01599 (Large).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 925
  • DSC01602 (Large).JPG
    DSC01602 (Large).JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,929
  • DSC01606 (Large).JPG
    DSC01606 (Large).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC01605 (Large).JPG
    DSC01605 (Large).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC01611 (Large).JPG
    DSC01611 (Large).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 603
  • DSC01609 (Large).JPG
    DSC01609 (Large).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 866
  • DSC01610 (Large).JPG
    DSC01610 (Large).JPG
    137 KB · Views: 717
  • DSC01612 (Large).JPG
    DSC01612 (Large).JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 555
   / Pics of 318 tweaks #2  
I really like that primer bulb idea. JD did make a filter/check valve those goes in the tank to correct the fuel drain back problem. If I wouldn't have already installed it I would have did the primer bulb fix.:):thumbsup:

Greg

/ Pics of 318 tweaks #3  
Great ideas - Heviduty,

For the primer bulb - I know the first starts are hard. I recussiate my 1811 by merely pressurizing the fuel tank for 20-30 seconds (mouth on fill port - cloth optional) to charge the pump and carb.

Good ideas all around tho and nice looking 318 - they are a great GT.

Carl

/ Pics of 318 tweaks
For the primer bulb - I know the first starts are hard. I recussiate my 1811 by merely pressurizing the fuel tank for 20-30 seconds (mouth on fill port - cloth optional) to charge the pump and carb.

I hear you, been there and done that, though I prefer squeezing a bulb over the gasoline fume backdraft I get after blow priming.

/ Pics of 318 tweaks #5  
I only do the a few times a year if its been sitting for a long time..

BTW I just landed in CLT at 3 PM today and drove by Concord on the way to Mooresville.

Just up the road from you tonight Rt 150 @ Holiday Inn.

Have a site visit tomorrow with a customer.

Nice part of NC you live in..

Cheers,

Carl