Thinking about a used L&G tractor...

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor... #1  

Blueflint

Tractor
Deere 1020
It's time to add another riding mower and really want more of a lawn and garden tractor but my funds can not swing a new one. My worn out Craftsman finally gave it up (rod out the side of the block). I recently picked up a Dynamark 18 42 L & G tractor and it is pretty well built compared to the Craftsman (MTD). But...the deck on this is in pretty bad shape, rusted out in areas, etc...not worth rebuilding.

So over the summer I am going to start looking around at used Deeres. I want something that has a decent size frame. I will mostly be mowing with it but some light utility work too. As far as the vast models out there, what should I be looking for, things to keep in mind, etc? I am mechanically inclined so minor to mid level repairs are not a problem. What is everyone's opinions on various Deere models that are readily available?

Thanks, Tony

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor... #2  
Start with your available budget. I've seen used Deere lawn and garden tractors go from $100 to $10,000.

My favorites are 425 and 445. They'll range from $2,000 to $6,000

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor...
Budget will be $2,000. I use to own a 445 and loved it! I sold it when I moved a few years ago and deeply regret that.

What models should I stay away from???

Thanks, Tony

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor... #4  
Go back to looking for XSKIER's recommendation. The 425 or 445 would be my top choice for anything in the used market. But better double that budget of $2000. Don't waste more money on something less, IMO.

I drove from WI to OH to pick up the 455 I found (I was particular that I wanted low hours, diesel, AWS and 54" deck). $5500 @ 400 hours and I have been happy with it.

But if you had a 445, you know what you are missing and also know what is the best.

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor... #5  
Go back to looking for XSKIER's recommendation. The 425 or 445 would be my top choice for anything in the used market. But better double that budget of $2000. Don't waste more money on something less, IMO.

I drove from WI to OH to pick up the 455 I found (I was particular that I wanted low hours, diesel, AWS and 54" deck). $5500 @ 400 hours and I have been happy with it.

But if you had a 445, you know what you are missing and also know what is the best.
have had good luck with a gt245-10 yrs old now-over 600 hrs and no major issues -std maint done on time every time===

/ Thinking about a used L&G tractor... #6  
Deere: 300 or 400 series (400 series is heavier than the 300 series)

Cub Cadet: 3000 series (ie: GT3200) is comparable to the Deere 400 series. I have heard that the Cub Cadet 2000 series is similar to the Deere 300 series, but I have never used one.

Kubota: G_200 series (ie: G4200, G5200, G6200) a step above the Deere 400 series IMO, watercooled diesel engines, shaft driven decks, etc. Just a little light in the HP department.

Aaron Z