How long should a John Deere 345 last

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #1  

cobracnvt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 and 345
I have a 1997 John Deere 345 with 410 hours on it and it's still going strong. It has the 18 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki v-twin engine in it. I'm blown away by how reliable it has been. So far, I just put in my third battery. The last battery lasted 8 years. I've also replaced the snow blower shoes and the snow blower scraping edge. These I consider to be normal wear items. I havent replaced anything else on it as a result of a part failure.

I use it all summer for mowing with a 48" mower deck and the powerflow bagger. In the winter, I use it for snowblowing with a 42" front snow blower. I put around 40 hours on it a year.

How long should I expect this tractor to last?

When will the point come that I can't get repair parts for it? Does John Deerre stop stocking parts after a certain number of years?

Are there any parts I should get now so I have them when they wear out and fail?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #2  
I put a hundred hours a year just cutting grass. ;)

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #3  
I think I bought mine around 1993-94 time frame. It has mowed at least five acres a week from march till October since then. I say at least five acres because for many years, I also covered my brothers and outlaws yards too, close to another five acres combined. My daughter is still using it at my place in Mississippi.

I think it is up to around 2500 hours( might be more now). No problems other than general maintenance like belts,blades, deck wheels, etc. just about all plastic has been replaced at least once, but that is not Deeres fault!

Now, the GX345 I took off my mothers hands when she could no longer care for it has been a different story. Let's see, two pulley/mower bearings, carb rebuild, and now have a voltage regulator or flywheel problem. It seems this model is not as problem free as my old one.

Take care of her and I expect that at the rate you are using her, lawns will be outlawed before she needs to be replaced.

Oh, as far as parts, I bought a 110 from my Dad when I got out of the Army (25 years ago). He bought it when I was around 6 or 7. I used that until I bought the 345. I sold it to an older gentleman who used it for yard carts and aerating since the deck was just about shot. He just replaced hydraulic pump a year ago - and got it from JD three days after he ordered it.

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #4  
I've got the same 18HP Kawasaki in my 1998 Kubota TG1860G. In fact I looked at the JD 345 when I was looking to buy... but the Kubota was almost $1500 less.
I'm pushing 900 hours on my tractor, used mostly for mowing 2.5 acres.
You are only interested in the engine, so I can tell you my only problem has been with the float in the carb. I change the oil & filter every year, and the coolant every four years. No oil usage at all, no leaks.
I expect this engine and tractor to last at least another 15-20 years. My previous unit was a 1966 Bolens 1050 which I bought used in 1973, it lasted until 1998.
Just keep up with maintenance & LUBRICATION... your 345 should last a good long time.

Pete

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #5  
My 345 is 13 years old with 604 hours. I change the engine oil and filter and hydraulic/transmission filters every year whether it needs it or not and replace the coolant every four years. It burns ethanol free gasoline that has Sta-bil added to every gallon as do all my gasoline powered outdoor power equipment. I've replaced three circuit boards, an idler in the drive system, several mower spindle pulleys, and a couple of belts. The PTO clutch has been making a slight noise for the last two or three years and I'm not going to replace it until it locks up. Recently, I purchased a JD Z655 for most of my mowing work so the 345 will be doing mostly drawbar work and mowing slopes around my pond. I plan to keep it for a long time. There are no scratches or dents on the exterior plastic/metal and it still shines like new and has always been parked inside out of the weather. The only thing that might tempt me to trade would be for a good buy on a diesel x-series to come along then I would trade both the Z655 and the 345.:D

Bill

Last edited:
   / How long should a John Deere 345 last #6  
My 345 is 16 years old with 980 hours (I bought it used from the original owner). Other than normal maintenance things and a few small repairs the only issue has been the dreaded plastic camshaft gear. Based on your model year it sounds like you have one with the plastic gear. The tractor should last you a long while but replace the camshaft BEFORE it fails (once it goes it's about a $1500 job to fix if you have a shop or dealer do it).

Other than the camshaft issue I love my 345!

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #7  
Longer than mine i hope ..I am in the process of changing a motor in my Cub-cadet now . 20hp kohler,2007 with 700hrs pushed rod through the block !

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #8  
I have the air cooled version 18 HP Kawa (GT 235). Really who knows but a guesstimate with proper maintenace and sleeping indoors :) I'd say easily over 2000 + hrs.

Boone

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #9  
A better question is how long before you WANT a new one.

/ How long should a John Deere 345 last #10  
Same engine is in my LX188, which is a 1995 model, I believe. Runs like a top. I put a new fuel pump in it, but I think that was ethanol related.