John Deere 445 questions

/ John Deere 445 questions #1  

zimnick

Tractor
john deere 445
We have a JD 445 with a shot engine. We have three attachments that fit it. Does anyone know of another make/model (doesn't have to be John Deere) that we could look into where these attachments could be used? I'm new to the tractor world so any help is greatly appreciated!

/ John Deere 445 questions #2  
I believe the John Deere 425 and 455 have the same frame, so I would think the attachments should fit those 2 tractors for sure. I don,t know about any other brand tractors that they would work on.

/ John Deere 445 questions #3  
zim... if its a cam gear stripped that is only a $260 dollar fix... Done 3 of them.
I bot a 445 1995 model with 999 hours for $500.. fixed it motor wise. New seat, waxed and it was perfect till last week. Had to take transaxle out for $8 seal... a few days work in a great lawnmower... Hope your is a cam/pushrod/waterpump job.... Just don't dump it for junk if it is. good luck.

/ John Deere 445 questions #4  
I think certain attachments, like scraper and snowblower, also fit the 41xx series. Though you might need a different quick hitch.

I too would look into what is wrong with the 425 engine befor junking it.

/ John Deere 445 questions #5  
We have a JD 445 with a shot engine. We have three attachments that fit it. Does anyone know of another make/model (doesn't have to be John Deere) that we could look into where these attachments could be used? I'm new to the tractor world so any help is greatly appreciated!

Since you say you are new to the tractor world all these guys are offering up good advice a new mower similar to the 445 is close to $10,000. I agree with the others to consider fixing what you have.

/ John Deere 445 questions #6  
zim... if its a cam gear stripped that is only a $260 dollar fix... Done 3 of them.
I bot a 445 1995 model with 999 hours for $500.. fixed it motor wise. New seat, waxed and it was perfect till last week. Had to take transaxle out for $8 seal... a few days work in a great lawnmower... Hope your is a cam/pushrod/waterpump job.... Just don't dump it for junk if it is. good luck.

Hi. I have a 445 that stopped. Opened up the engine and found the plastic cam gear with about 40% of the teeth gone. Want to replace this, but can't get the gear out. Any advise on doing this? Also, what else should I look at replacing with this failure? Saw a video about bent push rods. Any advice on that?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tim

/ John Deere 445 questions #7  
You have to remove the entire cam shaft as the gear is attached thereto:

Engine out of tractor
front cover off engine
remove both valve covers
remove both spark plugs
turn engine to top dead center (mark on cam and on fly wheel) - rotate flywheel by hand to turn
cam shaft seats in the back of engine block in a recess. Should fall loose with a pull forward. Push rods shoulds fall out. finess the cam shaft/push rods to get all 4 push rods to fall down in engine block, easier if loosen rocker arms so push rods have plenty of free play. Remove push rods and replace them. New push rods easiest installed from the valve end after the cam is in place. You'll have to loosen rocker arms to get push rods in. Rotate cam by hand and check that push rods operate correctly. Pay attention to put cam gear back in with T.O.C. properly oriented.

After engine back together, tighten rocker arms and adjust valve spacing per manual. It's also best to change governor gear, water pump, oil pump, a bunch of seals and gaskets, including valve seals while in there.

biggest job is getting engine out of tractor. Rest is pretty easy if you take your time.

/ John Deere 445 questions #8  
Change that water pump while you're in there...also.
On my last 445 camgear, water pump pushrod change...I did not take motor out nor did I even loosen up rocker arms. Just finger pushed the rockers down to set in the push rods..
It runs and runs well...

One other tidbit is to use the right torque on those water pump housing bolts and do put tread lock on them or they will migrate out.

445's rock...

/ John Deere 445 questions #9  
Thanks so much for the advice. I will post as to how this works out for me.