How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
I just bought an X595 and wanted to know if anyone knows how set it up so it can mow in reverse. It was very simple to do on my GX345 , but the 595 seems a bit more complicated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #2  
Mowing in reverse with small children in the household who could run into the yard or riding on the mower while being used for mowing could have disastrous results, causing serious injury or death.

The first step I would take if I was attempting such would be to remove the deck. I would then find where the reverse pedal comes through the floor board. I would look for a switch attached in such away that when the reverse pedal is depressed it toggles or turns off the "Engage Mower" current. I would then remove the bolt holding the switch. I would then secure the switch with tape or a tie wrap in such a manner that it cannot be activated. Do not- Do not try to jumper or cut wires. You will also loose the back up lights on the unit when you have the switch deactivated.

The work area is somewhat restricted. I think the bolt size is ten mm (10-mm). It could also be smaller.

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #3  
Some of those will mow in reverse if you hold the button. Have you read the operator's manual. As for jumpering out safety switches? Have you heard tell of litigation lawyers chasing down and suing shops, dealerships, web sites and posters.

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #4  
Just learn to use the tractor properly - it's not hard, and it becomes second nature with a little practice. On my 455 you just pull up on the PTO switch as you transition into reverse. You can let go once you're backing up.

Tim

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #5  
Some of those will mow in reverse if you hold the button.

That's how my X500 works. Then after you start moving in reverse for a few feet you can let go of the button and it will continue to mow. There are some Youtube videos on how to permanently override the RIO feature by modifying the wiring. That way you wouldn't have to mess around with the button but on the other hand, as others have mentioned, it would cause a safety issue.

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #6  
Just learn to use the tractor properly - it's not hard, and it becomes second nature with a little practice. On my 455 you just pull up on the PTO switch as you transition into reverse. You can let go once you're backing up.

Tim

I agree with Tim. The manual is here:
Deere X595 Operator's Manual

Then on the left side click on "Using Reverse Implement Option (RIO)".

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse
Amazing how many people don't open and read the operator's manual.

I have read the manual cover to cover. Whats amazing is how many people don't bother to read the original question. The question was how do I rig it to mow in reverse (so I don't need to pull the PTO switch each and every time). I personally think its much safer if I can turn completely around to check the entire area behind me, before mowing in reverse, rather then having to have one hand on the PTO switch and only being able to partly turn. Whether you agree with me or not, well thats up to you. That also wasn't part of the original question :thumbsup:

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #9  
The question was how do I rig it to mow in reverse (so I don't need to pull the PTO switch each and every time).

Did you find the Youtube video(s) I suggested?

/ How to rig an X595 to mow in reverse #10  
I have read the manual cover to cover. Whats amazing is how many people don't bother to read the original question. The question was how do I rig it to mow in reverse (so I don't need to pull the PTO switch each and every time). I personally think its much safer if I can turn completely around to check the entire area behind me, before mowing in reverse, rather then having to have one hand on the PTO switch and only being able to partly turn. Whether you agree with me or not, well thats up to you. That also wasn't part of the original question :thumbsup:

News to everybody here, your initial question did not convey the concept. As for mowing lawn in reverse , how is it an issue? Do you mow the lawn end to end by driving forwards, then backwards and don't turn around at the ends? In these days of litigation lawyers. Is it safe to Undo a factory safety system?