How reliable are JD lawn tractors?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #111  
Bought a JD LX178 years ago, hydrostat. Used it simply to mow my 2 acre lawn and pull a lawn sweeper to pick up the cuttings. The hydrostat would quit working when it got hot, so I could go about an hour and the mower would grind to a halt. I'd have to wait about 2 hours more to resume working.

I went to the dealer and he said, are you washing the tractor after use? Sure. That's your problem. Of course this was his way of saying buzz off, nonetheless, I quit washing the tractor. A month or so later I went back to him with the problem continuing. He said, are you washing the tractor after use? Nope! Well that's you problem. LOL

He refused to do a n y t h i n g to help me. I wound up writing directly to the president of John Deere and threatened to put up a web page showing my wife and child in harness pulling their slug mower across the lawn. A few days later the phone rang - the dealer calling me, and he was MAD. Why didn't you come to me with the problem before writing the company? Unbelievable.

Bottom line - swapped out the mower for the next larger model LX188, which is still running and performing like new.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #112  
Bought a JD LX178 years ago, hydrostat. Used it simply to mow my 2 acre lawn and pull a lawn sweeper to pick up the cuttings. The hydrostat would quit working when it got hot, so I could go about an hour and the mower would grind to a halt. I'd have to wait about 2 hours more to resume working.

I went to the dealer and he said, are you washing the tractor after use? Sure. That's your problem. Of course this was his way of saying buzz off, nonetheless, I quit washing the tractor. A month or so later I went back to him with the problem continuing. He said, are you washing the tractor after use? Nope! Well that's you problem. LOL

He refused to do a n y t h i n g to help me. I wound up writing directly to the president of John Deere and threatened to put up a web page showing my wife and child in harness pulling their slug mower across the lawn. A few days later the phone rang - the dealer calling me, and he was MAD. Why didn't you come to me with the problem before writing the company? Unbelievable.

Bottom line - swapped out the mower for the next larger model LX188, which is still running and performing like new.

Great story!

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #113  
Seems like a rather typical JDealer response. They think with the history and name, any problems must be someone else's to deal with. They are a good company overall, but many of the dealers around here seem to have an attitude problem.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #114  

You didn't buy it from the same dealer did you? :eek: Or was it an even swap?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #115  
Same dealer - swap. He was not a happy camper but, at that point ..... who cares? :)

I still like JD equipment, just not that dealer.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #116  
AH its noce to see that the nastygram sent to Moline did some good.

I had an issue with my JD dealer when I went to instal the chains
I bought with my mule the following year. I called the dealer and
explained that this coming season was the first season the LA115
was going to be used for snow and I was blown off by the person
on the phone SOOO that really ticked me off and after calling the
home office explaining the issue and also the fact that I had asked
them to install the snow caster before it was delivered-IT WAS NOT,
and I also explained how I injured myself moving it(the Snow caster)
off the drive way and hauling to where I left it that summer etc.

SO I had my money refunded and I ended up purchashing chains from tirechains.com
and I had to purchase a tire chain tool to make them smaller.

When I brough the chains back and had my money refunded and I ended up spending
more than the chains were worth before I left.

I added WWF ballast to the rears and it makes a night and day diffference in how I
remove snow now and I should have no issues moving my commercial log splitter either.

I only wish this mule had 4 wheel drive as it will not be worth much in a trade even
though I have taken care of it.

The moral of the story is

"A well placed phone call or letter means the light of day shows all
if you have a problem" you have tried to fix reasonably.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #117  
I can confirm the lousy transmissions in the JD L1xx series. The tranny on my L111 gave it up after four and a half seasons of mowing about an acre or two. My land is in the NC mountains and somewhat steep--for example, I had to swap the turf tires on the back for agricultural treads to not slip. I called JD and complained and they actually provided a new tranny and I paid the labor to install. Now, after another 4 years it is worn out again. Never again! I am literally in the middle of shopping for a replacement. I really don't want to go to a stick shift but may have to. All the mowers seem to have Tuff Torq transmissions, no matter what the brand. The better ones (higher end Simplicity, for example), have TT trannys with a fan and/or changeable fluid and filter, some a cooler. I know someone else who had one burn out in flatland but pulling a lawn roller. These cheap trannys are built to fail, a real sham. I wish a lawyer would file a class-action suit on all of our behalf. Any advice form those with better success would be appreciated.

It's important to understand that these low-end tractors are built to cut grass, not go hill climbing or pull heavy attachments. The real problem is that the literature and marketing information never discloses the design limitations of the different models. Heck, the transmission manufacturer and model numbers can be hard to identify. So it's up to the consumer to do the research and determine whether the product is up to the task. The weak point always seems to be the transmission. Consumers often buy what's cheap, then use them for tasks outside their design limitations, leading to failure and disappointment. Forums like this abound with the stories. So now that you have been armed with the information you need, you have the knowledge to shop wisely and select a product with a transmission up to the task. The brand doesn't really matter. They all pretty much use the same transmissions. So please don't hate on the brand. Go with a stronger transmission if you're doing more than cruising around on the flats cutting grass.

all the best

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #118  
My 1985 116H is still pulling a 37 bushel manure spreader around the farm and I'm honked off cause the Hydro belt is beginning to slip.
Now I've got to get inverted after jack standing it to replace the belt.

Yep, ya just can't trust those Deers.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #119  
I've enjoyed reading this thread, I'm a long time reader, first time poster
I have a friend that was given a 5 year old lx176 about 12 ago with a bad transmission, otherwise looked excellent shape. It would go about 15 minutes until the oil got warm and then refuse to go. (original owner had taken it back to a dealer and they said it was junk. Didn't even want it as a trade in) One day he let me tear it apart and I took the hydro parts to an old machine shop and he milled the 4 mating surfaces off for me for about $25. I put it back together and worked like new and its still In use today. I've been looking for someone to give me one to try it on again!

Last edited:
   / How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #120  
You serious? The LX178 and LX188 use exactly the same transmission.
The washing question is valid IF YOU KNEW anything. The transmission will overheat if the cooling fins are not washed clean of grass clippings.
The LX178/LX188 are b.t.w. light duty LAWN tractors. If you want pulling power or hill climbing ability. Purchase a GARDEN tractor. Easily identified with the five bolt rear rims they use with ground engagement transmissions.
Save your drama queen, poor victim but I scr e wded somebody over in revenge story for somewhere else.