How reliable are JD lawn tractors?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #31  
All depends on conditions. My 455 is well it of the league of where you are looking, but has given 16+ years of reliable service. A lesser tractor would not make much more than 2-3 years here would be my guess.

On the flip side Dad bought an Ace 42" cheapo I don't know how many years ago (he's been gone for a few years now but it was pre 2005 for sure) and it's doing just fine. Thing is it's cutting dry on sandy soil with light grass and weeds more than anything.

I'd slide up as far as you can afford.

I have Grandpa's old snapper RER here looking for a good home. Bicycle handle bars and single backbone frame. Many years of cutting light dry grass and was only retired due to a duel bowl leak which I have since fixed.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #32  
Thanks, you have been very frank and helpful. I just hate the thought that I might have to spend on a tractor what used to buy a used car!

Oh trust me, I know your pain.

When I ordered my X748SE, it came out to about $14,000. PLUS, we have tax here of 12%, I don't need to tell you how bad the final total hurt to hear! It hurts more knowing that for almost the same money one could have a sub compact like the 1026R or even step into a 2x20 machine.

I had to keep reminding myself that I was looking for the best mower and garden tractor possible, and the John Deere X748 is that machine, just with a huge price tag.

Do I regret it? Not one single bit. I can do 4 times as much work in the same time as I used to. It's still small and light enough that I can get into any space, even close to the house. Considering I was doing projects with a wheelbarrow before, I feel like an entirely new man now!

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #33  
My 1996 455 was $13,2xx as I recall with 450 tiller, 3 pt, 540 pto, 54" deck, 47" blower, power flo and MC519, plastic coated weights, bar tires and chains, and that was 16 years ago or so At the time it was the last garden tractor I would ever have to buy. Probably still is, but now I can afford to consider moving up a few years.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #34  
Hi Y'all, am new to this forum and just thought I add my 2「 worth. Yesterday I traded in my 14 year old LX178 for a spanking new D120 at my local JD dealer. The LX178 blew up (please ask me no more about this). I have an acre and a quarter with 50+ oak trees on it, to mow. I purchased a Cyclone Rake Pro in 2005 and by doing this, allowed me to stay in my present house (LEAVES .... ARRGggggg!!!). I used the LX178 for mowing, aerating and towing the Cyclone Rake and never had a problem with any configuration (until of course the JD died).
I just got off the phone with Chris at Cyclone Rake with whom I placed an order for a new mower deck attachment to mate my Cyclone Rake to my new mower (after sending them an email 2 hours earlier, asking them if they had a new design to fit the D120 deck).
All this said, my money is on John Deere and Cyclone Rake <period!>. I do the regular routine maintenance but I DO BEAT THE DEVIL out of my equipment (show no mercy). The Cyclone Rake "bag" holds 285 gallons of leaves and I routinely get up between 19-21 loads each seasons.
I saw here some questions about Cyclone Rake ... I will recommend this MADE IN THE US of A COMPANY to any one, any time. The manual that comes with it has exploded views of EVERY piece and component and as someone who prepared equipment drawings in a former life, I appreciate their detail and high level of customer service.
So, I'm here now and will be checking back every so often for suggestions, recommendations, advice, "how-tos", etc but not to be flamed for my choices in equipment ... I like mine. :thumbsup:
Mo

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #35  
Would you care to explain your comments? I would sincerely appreciate it! Thank you!!!

I would like to you clarify the following statements:

(1) "All the big box store lawn tractors are the same so it don't matter what the label or the color is"
(2) "There is no retail support on big box store lawn tractors , JD or other wise"

Thank you!

1*All the big box store tractors are what many call low end entery level low priced products.
Most of them are built by MTD or AYP
They may call them different brands and paint em many different colors but underneath that they are all alike.

2*I don't know of any Big box store that has a shop or works on tractors do you .
:)

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #36  
At times I mowed church property when they used a new brand X lawn tractor with a 48" deck and it cut pretty well. It wasn't much more than a mower deck with a seat on but it seemed to cut and those folks generally buy the cheapest Lawn tractor possible. I don't recall any serious breakdowns, but unless I could haul my larger JD to the property, even though that is a pain, I wouldn't cut that lawn anymore. I guess I got spoiled. A medium sized JD, even though it is more expensive that a box store brand, will make cutting grass enjoyable, where otherwise it is a pain cutting lawn and I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm spoiled now by using JD's for 40 years, but to each his own. I prefer comfort and enjoyment over a couple thousand in the bank. But then I drive a Geo metro; go figure.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #37  
1*All the big box store tractors are what many call low end entery level low priced products.
Most of them are built by MTD or AYP
They may call them different brands and paint em many different colors but underneath that they are all alike.

2*I don't know of any Big box store that has a shop or works on tractors do you .
:)

1* So your saying that any two cars at the same price point are equal? Any two tractors at the same price point are equal? The other part of your statement is simply untrue and won't need further addressing.

2* Well I know that Deere especially has an extensive line of dealerships that work on the box store mower (which they sell in their own stores). And don't forget that Toro and Cub Cadet also have their own dealerships (may I dare say, with service departments!) that work on the box store mowers (which they sell in their own stores).

Maybe some proof would help. Not blind assumptions that have no facts or evidence behind them would help.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #38  
Well here I go!

I have enjoyed reading on this site, and have contributed here and there. I have read subjects about overriding safety features, and experienced "farmers" adding advice to lawn and garden subjects and advising people who clearly state their objective and questions only to be told that they are stupid by someone who has nothing in common with their issue!

I want to learn from the more experienced users. However, please understand that John Deere makes many different products for many different users. I for one just finished mowing my 2.5 acres and really enjoyed it. I backed up once with the mower engaged and found it to be "no big deal"! I smiled as I whipped around trees with my AWS, it was fun! I don't want a subcompact, I like my X729! I will attach a FEL and appreciate learning to be cautious with AWS. Thank you more experience users!

Please be careful not to add comments just to type something. School will be back in soon and you can catch up with the other teenage girls then! Please stick to the questions and help in the spirit that true red blooded American John Deere Users can help with.

I Love being a new John Deere owner and want to experience the counsel of the more experienced owners. However when someone saids that his budget is $2,000, then respect that and help him. Offer used equipment as an option, but don't tell him that he should spend more, that's insulting!

I hope that I can still enjoy reading from this site as I have learned much. Please respect different needs and different budgets and different demands.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #39  
Hostaman after you have spent more time here at TBN you will realize that not all replies are helpful to the OP. This becomes truer as a thread ages. The original question is often forgotten and the conversations become ego battles. You will benefit if you learn to avoid the irrelevant fluff, just concentrate on the posts that offer solutions. It's usually counter productive to criticize those with whom you disagree. It's unlikely you will change many minds and you will just find yourself wasting time in arguments that accomplish nothing. :2cents:

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #40  
Agreed and appreciated. Thank you.