How reliable are JD lawn tractors?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #41  
I purchased a JD GT series 7 years ago, it's in the 19HP range and now I see JD has consolidated the varied model numbers to X300, X500 and X700. It's going strong and I see no need to replace, but I am considering a replacement diesel unit. The quality of the X is significantly better then the D and this is based on my friend opinions that works for the JD dealer I purchased from and he also assembles them for the box stores. That being said, I'm a big fan of buying used and with your $2000 budget that's what you should consider.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #42  
These are largely the ramblings of a grey-haired ol' man, but several things come to mind. The Snapper RER the OP is discussing is a single blade fixed height mower with an open engine compartment and a seat-forward operating deck to add weight to the front wheels for good traction and turning. I'm not sure what kind of transmission it has: variable speed or hi-low 2-speed. Those mowers were manufactured for homeowners who didn't have the amount of lawn to justify a large lawn tractor. The RER models are excellent performers on smooth ground and small lawns with lots of tight spots and turns. The Snapper is a great little mower with very limited mechanical functions that change or are adjustable. Somewhere on my junk pile of stuff I intend to carry to the metal recycler, I have a 28" Lawn Boy with 5 hp engine. It was one of my favorite mowers of all time for my city house lawn. It was also nearly bulletproof except for the Briggs & Stratton engine that finally failed.

To try and find something similar today is like running a classified ad in the newspaper for $5/hr laborers. 28 years ago, you may have found somebody worthwhile with that ad, but today you won't have any takers. If you do find someone, they'll be worth less than $5 per hour and probably more of a liability than an asset. It's a bit of a stretch, but I see the JD LA-series and D-series mowers about the same as that low wage laborer. If you want anything out of them, you are gonna have to give them unlimited attention and coaching. With the JD low-end mowers, you can get them to perform, but you'll have to limit what you want them to do and you'll have to spend a lot of time on maintenance. I own one of those mowers and my opinions have been posted in this forum before. Having it to do all over again, I would have spent more money. However, if all I have is $1500 to $2000 to spend today, I'd recommend doing a refurb of that great Snapper or looking in the used market for some value at a bargain price. At today's prices and the added features we want in our lawn tractors, you just can't buy 28-year trouble-free operation like you could in the past. It's a different time and the standards have changed.:)

Last edited:
   / How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #43  
How reliable...Purchased John Deere x340 in 2006. At 200 hours K58 transmission needed replaced. Last week (June 19th,2012) replacement K58 transmission died. JD replaced original transmission at 200 hours at no charge even though I had just passed warranty period. I am now at 585 hours when the second one went. I am in discussion with my JD dealer and it sounds like they will be helpful with this 2nd transmission. My main issue is what replacement transmission to get. My research shows numerous problems with the K58 not being able to handle ground contact and hilly environments. I purchased this x340 from JD dealer for $5000 in 2006, because I knew the box store units were not of the same quality so I was willing to go the extra expense for a machine I thought would last me 20 years. The transmission problem in the x300 series involving the durability of the K58 is very evident in many garden tractor blogs, and hopefully JD will resolve this issue. I must say overall the x340 is excellent and my dealer has been very understanding and helpful with my problem. JD realizes the issue with the K58 because they sometimes issue financial assistance with the problem by dealer paying 1/3, JD 1/3, owner 1/3. Average cost of K58 replacement is $1400. My question is should I go to the Tough Torque K66 instead of the replacement K58 which will probably fail again. I mow an acre lot, mostly level, and snow plow a 50 yard driveway. I'm suspecting the snow plowing is too much ground contact for the K58 and I believe JD realizes the weakness of this transmission for this level of garden tractor. I would appreciate any comments or advice because I will be resolving this issue with John Deere this week. I am retired and really can't afford any expense for this. Thanks, John

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #44  
My question is should I go to the Tough Torque K66 instead of the replacement K58 which will probably fail again.

I think you would be better off upgrading to the K66. In light of your problems with the X340, perhaps your dealer would be willing to give you a special deal trading it for an X500? Those are much more suited for heavy work like snow plowing. Either way I'm sure there is going to be some expense involved.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #45  
K58 trans is a lightweight. K66 and up are good. There are different torque and option versions of the K58 and K66 . Find out what first. The operator may also be the problem, some folk figure thier ordinary usage is ordinary rather than aggressive. Any kids operating the tractor going Instantly from max fwd to rev etc at max speed and rpm? Make certain the. K66 has diff lock. I've also seen operators that never used synthetic oil or cleaned dirt from cooling fins.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #46  
Just so I'm certain, is k66 in the x540?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #47  
Just so I'm certain, is k66 in the x540?

No the X500 series has a different transmission called Kanzaki K72B. Haven't read anything about transmission problems in that series.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #48  
That's good news! (I think?). :)

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #49  
That's good news! (I think?). :)

The x540 is an excellent lawn mower and you should get many years of good service from it.
Also like your signature line, dogs are a major benefit to my life.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #50  
rekees...thank you for your response. I would love to upgrade to the x500 but was forced to retire after being laid off in 2009. JD mentioned they would install the K66 if I purchased it. Don't know yet how much the K66 costs but it seems senseless to put a K58 back in knowing it will eventually fail. My opinion is if JD, which I consider one of the best quality tractors available, produced a $5000 garden tractor that has snow plow capability, but has a transmission incapable of handling ground contact operations,or hilly terrain, then the upgrade to a K66 should be provided by JD at no charge. Also, the number of complaints regarding the K58 appears to be extensive, so hopefully I can work out something with JD at minimal or no cost. If any one else has dealt with this situation I would appreciate your feedback.