How reliable are JD lawn tractors?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #1  

canlis

Tractor
Snapper 8hp RER
I will be buying a new lawn tractor to replace my 8hp Snapper RER which is 28 years old and just went bad on me. I guess I should not complain:).I went to a JD power and equipment dealer and was told that if I wanted to get the same level of reliability/durability that I got from my Snapper, then I would have to buy at least the x300(starting at $3000) model because any D100 series JD will only last 4-5 years. I found that very hard to believe since it is not my intention to spend $3000 for a tractor. My price range is $1500-$2000. However, another expert in lawn tractors also said that a mechanical engineer for JD told him that the D100 series JD was designed so that the transmission will last only 200 hours which equates to 50 hrs/yr or 4 years. I was interested in the D130 model since it was in my price range. However,now I'm skeptical about it if these statements are true because I do not want to buy another tractor in 4-5 years if I can help it. My lawn is 3/4 acre and basically flat. What suggestions can anyone give me on this matter? Has anyone experienced any reliability/durability problems with the JD D130? How has anyone found JD manufacturer/retail support in the event of a problem?Thanks for your help!

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #2  
Buy what you can afford.
But remember, you get what you pay for.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #3  
I will be buying a new lawn tractor to replace my 8hp Snapper RER which is 28 years old and just went bad on me. I guess I should not complain:).I went to a JD power and equipment dealer and was told that if I wanted to get the same level of reliability/durability that I got from my Snapper, then I would have to buy at least the x300(starting at $3000) model because any D100 series JD will only last 4-5 years. I found that very hard to believe since it is not my intention to spend $3000 for a tractor. My price range is $1500-$2000. However, another expert in lawn tractors also said that a mechanical engineer for JD told him that the D100 series JD was designed so that the transmission will last only 200 hours which equates to 50 hrs/yr or 4 years. I was interested in the D130 model since it was in my price range. However,now I'm skeptical about it if these statements are true because I do not want to buy another tractor in 4-5 years if I can help it. My lawn is 3/4 acre and basically flat. What suggestions can anyone give me on this matter? Has anyone experienced any reliability/durability problems with the JD D130? How has anyone found JD manufacturer/retail support in the event of a problem?Thanks for your help!

Obviously the cheaper you go, the less it will last. I find it hard to believe that any tractor that JD sells will only last 200 hours before a transmission goes. If it is, it is a fluke. If your 8 hp snapper lasted 28 years you can't be that hard on them, then I have no doubt a cheapy JD will last that long. That being said, I know a man who bought the cheapest new JD he could find and started mowing lawns for a business, against everyone's advice. When it started breaking down a couple years later he was on a rant against John Deere, because he expected JD's to last forever.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #4  
Please don't buy a John Deere LA series with the intent of it lasting 28 years.
In my opinion, they are a 5 year mower, at best.
If your 8 hp snapper lasted 28 years you can't be that hard on them, then I have no doubt a cheapy JD will last that long.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #6  

I would either go cheap with a D100 with gear drive or move up to an x310 with the k58 tranny. You could likely mow quite a few years with the D130 just recognize that good mowers that last cost alot more than your budget of $1500-2000.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #7  
The TufFTorq K51 that JD put in their 100 series and the Scott's mowers have a troubled history. My Scott's 1642 did last 12 years on a 2.5 ac lot with a steep grade. I also bagged all those years which added considerable weight up the hills. I live in the South and mow 40+ weeks a year. The transaxle was the breaking point and at $600 +/- repair the unit is not serviceable. I agree that you get what you pay for but 200 hours is not reasonable for the life of any mower.

At the $2,000 and less price point you will clearly be "entry level" especially considering that if you bag you are looking at $500 for that add on.

Your last mower was built to last in those days and you will not find that to be the case today especially if you remain in that price range. Not to say that you should spend more, I jumped on the 16 hp Scott's many many times and it served me well in that same range.

My advice, stick with a brand name and purchase what feels right to you.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #8  
Please don't buy a John Deere LA series with the intent of it lasting 28 years.
In my opinion, they are a 5 year mower, at best.

buy cheap-get cheap------better to buy a good used beefed up model then a new cheepee------:confused2:

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #9  
I have three properties I mow, one 2 1/2 acres, another 2 acres and 1 at 1/2 acre. Mowed all three with my stx 38 which is 16 years old until I bought a used stx 46 and both are going strong. Now I'm selling one since I have my Mahindra and I leave one at my commercial property so I don't have to move them around as often. The 46 is probably 14 years old and runs like a top. Maintain them and they will run a long time, like anything else.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #10  
I would look at a low hr used machine. I just bought a 2001 335 with low hrs in that price range. I've also seen several 316s onward the bottom of your range. The are a much better choe if you want it to last