60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #11  
As someone else mentioned, I would keep in mind how often you plan to remove the deck.

For me, I remove my deck whenever I am not mowing, because I spend a lot of time hauling around the cart full of gravel, or pole shavings, or dirt. If I kept the deck on in some areas I would get hung up, so every time I want to do other work I just take it off. The additional bonus is it lightens the load the tractor has to carry by 250 or 300 pounds, whatever the deck weight is, which is heavy! I can use that for extra payload, or just make life easier for the tractor. With the 7-iron it takes 30 seconds, and not one second of that requires me bending over to push a deck out from underneath, or trying to line it up again when I want to put it back on. After having a 7-Iron I would never go back to a yellow deck.

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series
Well my 7 iron demo fell through as the unit sold. Working on a 748SE with 54" deck next. I am really hoping to demo the 7 iron plus the 4ws unit with std deck. I'm the kind of guy that feels guilty about using a dealer for demo, but it looks like I'll need to start searching alternate dealers. Service has just gotten so poor with the dealer that I bought my 455 from as they got bought out by a multi store chain. Last year I made this request and they located a 720 to demo which would have been fine as I know all about the diesel, but they never found a deck for it and never followed up. This year they have several 720's with decks at various stores, but rather than call I used their email twice so far without response. Sad, but I had a similar experience buying my latest new truck with only my Go-to dealer (2 hrs away) giving good service.

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #13  
Well my 7 iron demo fell through as the unit sold. Working on a 748SE with 54" deck next. I am really hoping to demo the 7 iron plus the 4ws unit with std deck. I'm the kind of guy that feels guilty about using a dealer for demo, but it looks like I'll need to start searching alternate dealers. Service has just gotten so poor with the dealer that I bought my 455 from as they got bought out by a multi store chain. Last year I made this request and they located a 720 to demo which would have been fine as I know all about the diesel, but they never found a deck for it and never followed up. This year they have several 720's with decks at various stores, but rather than call I used their email twice so far without response. Sad, but I had a similar experience buying my latest new truck with only my Go-to dealer (2 hrs away) giving good service.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if your going to splurge for an X748, especially the more costly X748SE, the 7 Iron deck would be the best way to go. To put a lower cost deck on a premium machine like that, just seems wrong. The 7 iron is more money, but it pays for itself the first time you use it, and then for years to come. It's not just a thicker deck, it's an entirely better cut quality and discharge quality experience.

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #14  
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if your going to splurge for an X748, especially the more costly X748SE, the 7 Iron deck would be the best way to go. To put a lower cost deck on a premium machine like that, just seems wrong. The 7 iron is more money, but it pays for itself the first time you use it, and then for years to come. It's not just a thicker deck, it's an entirely better cut quality and discharge quality experience.

I agree with this, if you decide to go for the 748 then get the 7 iron deck.

I've pretty much decided that if the 7 iron fits (2 wheel steer) it's what I'm going with, but I also decided not to buy another without a home demo on our grass.

The rest of this should probably be in the buying/pricing.

My go-to dealer stopped responding after his old 748 sold and I asked to demo the one with 100hrs. Two emails to another local and no response. One to another branch of same local dealer and no response. I called yet another dealer has a 724 that I'd like to demo, but it has a 48" deck and is consigned. He didn't have any interest in helping me find what I was looking for either.

Maybe I'm being a dick about this or being lazy, but wouldn't you think a JD dealer would answer email? I had this same deal with GMC dealers where I was looking to shop local or semi local and they either did not respond or just quit responding. In the end I got to vent as I copied the Sales Mgrs and owners of said dealerships informing them where they went wrong. Two of the 3 emailed AND called to apologize.

I'm on the phone a lot in my work and if I were to call I get voice mail and leave message then the caller returns the call while I'm on with a customer and the viscious circle begins. These dealers don't have the time to be free and answer the phone so they need to learn to adapt and use more effficient means of communication. I guess I'll have to start calling and jack these guys up.

In both cases here, the object of my desires is far more upscale than the local market demands.

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #16  
Lots of slack salepeople everywhere, after all the fire damage here with 242 homes and businesses burned to the ground I contacted my dealer about buying a grapple for the 110tlb, still waiting for a call back. If I don't hear something soon I will order one online.

Just a thought but you may wan't to contact the person who bought the 748 with 7 iron and see what they think of it. Might be willing to let you see the results and provide you with some insight on a purchase of your own. Most people are reasonable about something like this, your dealer could at least ask about this if he wants to make another sale.

The 748w/7 iron was at a different location hours away. My go-to dealer was independent when I bought my 3720 but now part of a large chain.

I'm not one to sell stuff frequently unlss there is something wrong or it's poor performance. I have 3 things that I've been considering upgrading for the past few years. My 455, my Raxnger XP700, and my 3720. I just haven't been shown a reason to justify as the improvements have been preetty minor except for the 455 to x7 series.

I think I feel the chip on my shoulder growing and may have to break down and start calling or even visiting sales mgrs today...

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #18  
I always have this question and thought this might be a good place to post it. Everybody seems to want to demo a tractor, but nobody seems to want to buy a tractor that has been demoed. Pretty hyprocritical isn't it. Just look at the number of posts that talk about how many hours is too many on a new tractor. The people that complain if there new tractor has even a scuff mark on it. Sure makes one wonder ?????

BTW I have a X748se with 7iron and love it. Never even saw one before I ordered it.

Andy

/ 60" 7 iron vs 54" or 62" deck on 700 series #19  
Those that say the AWS is added complexity that's bound to fail are wrong. I've had my AWS 425 for 19 years (1075 hours). Never a problem. Steers like the day I got it. And I'll never go back to 2WS again, at least not while on my current property. If you have a lot to mow around and/or tight spaces to work in, it's AWSume. My little tractor just buzzes around quick as can be. As for the deck, my understanding is the older yellow decks on the 400 series are different from the newer ones, with the newer ones being inferior in build quality. Don't know about cut differences.

I do say to stay away from the mulching kits, unless you like to cut grass every 5 days or less. Great for leaves, but not so much for wet or heavy grass.

The 7 iron might be a step up from the yellows. Question is, is it enough to forgo AWS. Removing/installing the deck on my 425 is easy. Don't see the need for drive over or autoconnect. Those that want to put a loader on an x700 should really just move up to the 1026r or 2000 series. The x700 is just to light.

A 5 day mowing schedule is getting pretty tight around here and often we need to do more frequently. Dry summer we may get a break, but otherwise it's near 2x per week...

Supposed to have a used x724-54 coming to demo. I'm one that does not feel right about taking a demo on something that I don't intend to buy unless of course it is used.

I can roll my current 54" deck out the side no problem, just need to fanagle the steer tires a bit so the drive over is not really a draw for me. Still have to mess with the shaft coupling so not much more difficult to swivel the wheels.