X530/X540 Qustions

/ X530/X540 Qustions #11  
The difference from your old mower will be huge. Now I look forward to cutting the grass!

Ditto that! As they say "you don't know what you don't know". Going from a 22 year old Craftsman to a new X500 was an education. :teacher:

/ X530/X540 Qustions #12  
I HATE IT!

Get an X500 and your life will be changed forever. You will LOVE it. Mowing will become a spiritual experience and the 4 acres will be your church. :cheerful:

/ X530/X540 Qustions #13  
It's already a spiritual experience. Everyday I pray that it won't grow or else that dies. :thumbsup:

Spray the lawn with undiluted round up, or salt the entire place, either way should make sure you don't mow for quite some time.

/ X530/X540 Qustions
Attached are some photos of the slopes. The first three are the bank in front of my house leading down to my driveway. This isn't much of a concern because it is flat on both ends. My current mower handles it ok if I sit on the uphill fender. The rest are my uncles yard across my driveway. This is steep, and I'm not sure the pictures really due it justice. He is not healthy enough to mow it anymore and I help him as much as possible. His granddaughter and her fiancé mow it once a month and I mow it once a month.

Do you x500 owners think it'll get the job done? I'm sure at worst it will be better than the cheap made light weight mowers I've been using.

Attachments

• image-3016311450.jpg
    image-3016311450.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 228
  • image-3112187409.jpg
    image-3112187409.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 184
  • image-1446927154.jpg
    image-1446927154.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image-4276044240.jpg
    image-4276044240.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 203
  • image-3574193653.jpg
    image-3574193653.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 175
  • image-4020012375.jpg
    image-4020012375.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3915184664.jpg
    image-3915184664.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 156
  • image-2605396667.jpg
    image-2605396667.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 178
  • image-408563884.jpg
    image-408563884.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 158
   / X530/X540 Qustions #15  
For years I have mowed using various walk behinds, and then a Craftsman rear engine rider with a 32" single blade deck. It took hours in the Florida summer to mow. That does not include all the trimming, raking, etc. Talk about hating it! When I finally got the LX188, My first 'real' lawn tractor, everything changed. With the time saved mowing, I now am able to spend more effort on all the other work that is needed to have a decent lawn. And, I am not beat tired when I am finished. The X540 has shortened the time even more.

Now I am looking for a larger lawn to mow with my tractor..... About half the size of K7LN's. I suppose that the day might come that I just do not want to get on my tractor and mow. (Along with many other chores it helps me with.) I just hope that day isn't anytime soon.

The Craftsman rider was a real piece of junk to mow my lawn with. My turf is not real smooth, and I believe that I would compress several vertebrae during each mowing. The mower itself seemed like it was about to break in to many pieces from the very rough ride. Both of the JD's on the other hand, handle it just fine with a much smoother ride. A strong argument for spending a bit more for a quality tractor.

/ X530/X540 Qustions #16  
Attached are some photos of the slopes. The first three are the bank in front of my house leading down to my driveway. This isn't much of a concern because it is flat on both ends. My current mower handles it ok if I sit on the uphill fender. The rest are my uncles yard across my driveway. This is steep, and I'm not sure the pictures really due it justice. He is not healthy enough to mow it anymore and I help him as much as possible. His granddaughter and her fiancé mow it once a month and I mow it once a month.

Do you x500 owners think it'll get the job done? I'm sure at worst it will be better than the cheap made light weight mowers I've been using.

On the X5XX, you will be thinking: What hills? Nice place BTW. Looks like a beautiful piece of land you have there...

/ X530/X540 Qustions
Eric,

Your description of the rough ride and mower feeling like it is going to come apart from it is my situation as well. I hope I see the same improvement with the Deere as you have.

I head out in the morning to test drive and bring my new mower home!! The decision between 530 and 540 will be made while at the dealer.

/ X530/X540 Qustions
I hope your right about the hills and all the positive comments have got me excited!!

Thanks for the compliments on the land. It's been in my family for about 175 years, and I have been fortunate enough to inherit it. I spend every minute I can cleaning it up and improving it. I can't wait to build my new house over the next two years. I just have to decide between two building sites and it is a tough call as both have Pro's and con's.

I will be sure post pictures once I get the new Deere home tomorrow.

/ X530/X540 Qustions #19  
Do you x500 owners think it'll get the job done?

It's difficult to judge the degree of slope from pictures. Personally I'd feel uncomfortable on slopes greater than 20 degrees. Along the lane I think you would be okay following the lane going cross slope. The other slopes look steeper and I would only mow those going up and down (not across). When you get the mower included will be a safety DVD. It will explain in detail how to mow slopes. Try backing up the slope first. If you can not back up the slope then it is too steep to mow. Perhaps the dealer will let you try the mower for a few days before purchase? Doesn't hurt to ask.

/ X530/X540 Qustions
I do currently mow the steepest part cross slope, but the problem is that there is no good way to do it without having to turn downhill. That's when the sledding begins and what I hope to eliminate or at least lesson. My current mowers will not even begin to back up any part of it without spinning out. I can go up most of it but again lots of spinning. There is a significant slope behind the dealership that I tested an x740 on. That machine crossed, backed up, and and went straight up with no problem at all. I will be testing the x5xx on it before making the deal. I just hope with the HDAP tires it handles close to as well as the x740 did.