X530/X540 Qustions

/ X530/X540 Qustions #21  
Okay good luck at the dealer tomorrow. Let us know what happens. Of course we are going to want pictures if you buy. :camera:

/ X530/X540 Qustions #22  
you'll have no issues that I can see. While its hard to get perspective on the angles, from the looks of it, your lawn appears very similar to mine. You may need the diff lock the odd time, particularly on an off camber situitation where there is less weight on the uphill side but thats about it. The diff lock is what makes these machines shine. The only thing better is 4x4 like youd get on the X748 or my current BX

/ X530/X540 Qustions #23  
Come on, go all out and get the X540, you know you want that quiet liquid cooled Kawi with tilt steering and the better looking hood! :dance1:

/ X530/X540 Qustions
Scooby074 - that's good to hear. I'll definitely try out the diff lock. I do realize a 4x4 would be best, just don't want to spend that much if I can get by without doing so. I considered a kubota GR 2120, at a quote of $8,500, but read about some issues with the glide steer that scared me off. If not for my uncles yard, 4x4 would really be overkill, and it is inevitable that at some point that property will be sold and I'll no longer be mowing it.

I will definitely be posting pics once I've got the new machine home.

/ X530/X540 Qustions
JDTank - I very well may do just that. If it came standard with the HDAP tires, and I wasn't going to be charged an extra 300 for them, the price difference wouldn't be to bad. I'm going to see what the dealer will do and drive both.

/ X530/X540 Qustions #26  
JDTank - I very well may do just that. If it came standard with the HDAP tires, and I wasn't going to be charged an extra 300 for them, the price difference wouldn't be to bad. I'm going to see what the dealer will do and drive both.

Dealer SHOULD swap the HDAP in to make the sale. But if its a no go, i wouldnt let the lack of HDAP stand in the way of the 540. I really wasnt that impressed with them in actual use. Like you, I figured they'd be the be all and end all for traction... they really arent!!

If i was going for upgraded tires, about all Id go for considering my experience with both HDAP and regular turfs, would be Bar treads like this:

P5150007.jpg

/ X530/X540 Qustions #27  
Dealer SHOULD swap the HDAP in to make the sale. But if its a no go, i wouldnt let the lack of HDAP stand in the way of the 540. I really wasnt that impressed with them in actual use. Like you, I figured they'd be the be all and end all for traction... they really arent!!

If i was going for upgraded tires, about all Id go for considering my experience with both HDAP and regular turfs, would be Bar treads like this:

I asked the dealer about the Bar treads for my X500 and he said they would void the warranty. Don't know if that's true or sales BS? Anyway I agree with you that the dealer should make the swap if he wants to sell the X540. On the JD website it says "24x12-12 heavy duty all purpose" in the specs for both tractors so I also don't understand why the dealer said HDAP are standard on X530 and turfs are standard on X540. Sounds like more sales BS.

/ X530/X540 Qustions #28  
I asked the dealer about the Bar treads for my X500 and he said they would void the warranty. Don't know if that's true or sales BS? Anyway I agree with you that the dealer should make the swap if he wants to sell the X540. On the JD website it says "24x12-12 heavy duty all purpose" in the specs for both tractors so I also don't understand why the dealer said HDAP are standard on X530 and turfs are standard on X540. Sounds like more sales BS.

Exactly. The 530 and 540 should both come with the HDAP. Mine did.

As to the bars, id like to see where its spelled out they would void warranty... My vote is sales BS on that too!!

/ X530/X540 Qustions
The dealer quoted me $6,420 for the 540. If I can get them to throw in the HDAP tires for that price, I will own a 540 for sure. We shall see shortly as I'm leaving for the dealer now! I'll post back later with my results and pictures.

Thanks again for all the feedback, it's nice to be able to talk to other owners to help with this type of purchase. I may not have a lot of posts but rest assured I get about 2-3 hours of reading a day on this site. I am totally addicted!!!

/ X530/X540 Qustions #30  
TnWV said:
The dealer quoted me $6,420 for the 540. If I can get them to throw in the HDAP tires for that price, I will own a 540 for sure. We shall see shortly as I'm leaving for the dealer now! I'll post back later with my results and pictures.

Thanks again for all the feedback, it's nice to be able to talk to other owners to help with this type of purchase. I may not have a lot of posts but rest assured I get about 2-3 hours of reading a day on this site. I am totally addicted!!!

I looked for several months on Craigslist and found a 2008 X540 with 38 hours and HDAP tires, powerflow bagger, grill guard and moon hubcaps that I bought for $4300. It has been fantastic. I have mowed 3 acres of raw land along with my 1/2 acre yard. The HDAP tires chew the Sr. Augustine up pretty bad, so I just bought newturf tires on a set of used rims (painted them JD yellow) for $240. The liquid cooled is quiet and runs like a champ. It will tackle anything. I would go with the 540