John Deere 445

/ John Deere 445 #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Do all original John Deere 445's have the plastic cam gear? How does the value of the 445 and 455 compare if they have equal time? What is the approximate expected life of a Kawasaki engine compared to the Yanmar. I really like my Yanmar!
Thanks.....Casey

/ John Deere 445 #2  
No, only those built before a certain date. I think it's 1998 or thereabouts that they switched to the steel CAM. The 455 usually brings $500 - $1000 more. I've been reading that the Kaw is good for 1500 - 2000 hours or so, if taken care of and maintained properly.

/ John Deere 445 #4  
A yammer motor can be run 3500 to 400 hours, I have seen one with 3973 on the hr meter, you could tell. The deck doesnt usually last that long though and the tractor starts falling apart also.

/ John Deere 445 #5  
My 445 has 2700 and runs mint... now. I was mowing and it just stopped sounded like it siezed. Went to start it and it barely turned over. Waited a minute and it started with the oil pressure light on and shut it off. Pulled the motor thought it would be cam gear (1996) and opened it up. What I found was a oil pump gear broke in half. Good news someone had been in here before as it had a steel cam gear. Motor looked excellent inside, bores in great shape. For around $100 back in business. After talking to some others they have had the same thing happen. Dont be afraid to do this yourself. I'm really not a great mechanic but in 45 minutes the motor is out and in another 45 its back together. These things are really easy to work on. For the most part you cant mess up plugs and just mark starter wires and ground wires. I took pictures on my phone. I expect to go way over 3000 hours. I saw a hour meter guage on ebay at 5400 hrs.