X500 seat options.

/ X500 seat options. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
Which is the better seat?

I see John Deere has a smaller seat with an opening on the bottom, so it has 2 separate cushions. I have also seen a few machines with a larger one piece seat.

Also, I was looking in the accessories brochure tonight, and I see John Deere offers a 12 volt fan for the X500 series to keep the operator cool. Does anyone think this would draw to much power from the battery? I am worried with the fan on the engine wouldn't give enough charge to the battery, since they only make about 15 amps.

/ X500 seat options. #2  
I have an X540 with the tall seat, It is very comfortable. Looks nice too. I live in Florida where it does get quite warm in the summer, and I have yet to find a need for a fan while using the tractor. But, if you did decide to put one on yours, it would probably be ok since they do not require much current. (Unless you plan to mount a really powerful blower of some type.)

I do also believe that the engine fans are crankshaft driven. They require no electric power.....

/ X500 seat options.
I have an X540 with the tall seat, It is very comfortable. Looks nice too. I live in Florida where it does get quite warm in the summer, and I have yet to find a need for a fan while using the tractor. But, if you did decide to put one on yours, it would probably be ok since they do not require much current. (Unless you plan to mount a really powerful blower of some type.)

I do also believe that the engine fans are crankshaft driven. They require no electric power.....

Thanks for the input!

What i meant by the fan and power comment was, riding mowers produce very little power. 15 amps can be sucked up easily. I was concerned that if i was mowing with lights on, fan going, that it would take almost all of the current produced, and none would go to the battery, or very little. However, i am no longer concerned about it. If you need the lights on, you shouldnt need the fan on too, unless it is one hot and muggy night!

I think the money would be better spent on the sun shade, keep from getting a sunburn on my scalp!

/ X500 seat options. #4  
Thanks for the input!

What i meant by the fan and power comment was, riding mowers produce very little power. 15 amps can be sucked up easily. I was concerned that if i was mowing with lights on, fan going, that it would take almost all of the current produced, and none would go to the battery, or very little. However, i am no longer concerned about it. If you need the lights on, you shouldnt need the fan on too, unless it is one hot and muggy night!

I think the money would be better spent on the sun shade, keep from getting a sunburn on my scalp!

I agree with the shade idea. I have to keep my bald noggin covered with a hat. And yes, the charging systems are limited due to their permanent magnet (magneto) design. They do work pretty well though, and seem to be very reliable.

/ X500 seat options. #5  
Which is the better seat?

I see John Deere has a smaller seat with an opening on the bottom, so it has 2 separate cushions. I have also seen a few machines with a larger one piece seat.

Also, I was looking in the accessories brochure tonight, and I see John Deere offers a 12 volt fan for the X500 series to keep the operator cool. Does anyone think this would draw to much power from the battery? I am worried with the fan on the engine wouldn't give enough charge to the battery, since they only make about 15 amps.

I think the seat depends on the model and can't be switched between models? The seat on my X500 has the 2 separate cushions. It is very comfortable and can be adjusted forward and backward. The springs under the seat can also be adjusted for a softer or firmer ride depending on what you like. Didn't know there was a fan available. Not sure how effective a fan would be outside with the wind blowing? :confused3: