replacing engine

/ replacing engine #1  

petenchit

Tractor
john deere g110
I have a JD G110 with a kohler cv730 engine. The engine is bad wondering if I could l replace the engine with a Briggs and stratton engine and what it would take. Thanks

/ replacing engine #2  
For a low end machine like that, I would suggest purchasing a new machine, or find yourself a used one.

Certainly, anything can be re-powered, but it would likely cost you slightly less than the machine is worth, good time for an upgrade! :D

The nice part about riding mowers is they are extremely simple. Switching out an old engine for a new one is something that can be done in a few hours, the biggest thing is getting the choke and throttle cables set just right.

/ replacing engine #3  
A quick search on tractor house, I found your tractor can be had 1500-2500 used. I don't know the details of yours, but consider trading it in at the dealership. are replacement motor may run $1000 give or take. If the jd dealership would give you $500 off your new machine, I think you'd be ahead. Just an opinion.

/ replacing engine #4  
Sorry to hear that but if you need to change out the engine the guys are right, see if you can trade it in. What is wrong with the engine, is the block ruined?

/ replacing engine
Its blowing black smoke. Took the head off looks like blow back. Probably need to do the rings and valves. Really don't want to spend 3000 on a new JD. Don't know if I should get it fixed or a new motor. What's in it now is a kohler motor could I put a Briggs and stratton in it and what would it take. Thanks for your help

/ replacing engine #6  
I don't consider myself a small engine mechanic but to save money I would price the parts for a rebuild to get an idea. How do the cylinder walls look? Is there some reason you are interested in the Briggs motor swap? At this point I would look at rebuilding the Kohler. Need to assess what you have and come up with a plan.

A quick search for parts and it looks like you can buy a rebuild kit for about $350 here. http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_rebuild_kits.htm

Last edited:
   / replacing engine #7  
Its blowing black smoke. Took the head off looks like blow back. Probably need to do the rings and valves. Really don't want to spend 3000 on a new JD. Don't know if I should get it fixed or a new motor. What's in it now is a kohler motor could I put a Briggs and stratton in it and what would it take. Thanks for your help

Black smoke? Black color smoke indicates an excessive rich fuel condition. (Unless it is a diesel.) Such as a stuck float in the carburettor. Hardly a reason to rebuild an engine. Blue smoke is the color of oil burning. Along with plug fouling from the heavy carbon deposits. Another possibility: Tight valves. (A lack of clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem.) This would result in black smoke, with low compression. The fix? An easy, routine valve adjustment.

In the case of oil burning, (Blue smoke) I would rebuild the engine. Oil burners usually do not have severe damage unless it was the result of a severe overheat. Badly scored cylinders are an indication of overheating. Lack of oil changes can result in stuck rings, and bad valve seals. Both easy to fix with a good rebuild.

Noise. Like a loud knocking or rattle, can be a reason to replace an engine. Scored crankshaft and connecting rods, broken pistons with cylinder damage can be the death of any engine.

Head work, like valve jobs should be done instead of replacing an engine. The engine work (if needed) should be done by someone with skills and knowlege of general rebuilding. Checking clearances, ring end gaps, cylinder honing, etc. A good rebuild, when done properly, can result in a 'better than new' engine.