JD 455 Purchase

/ JD 455 Purchase
Ron,

I don't have any pics of the 455. I wish I would have taken a few before and after pictures, but I diden't. I still need a new seat and I have thought about repainting the tractor. However, my mower looked very simular to yours. The deck was rusted up pretty bad and had some cracks in it here and there. I had the deck sandblasted, welded the cracks up, rebuilt the spindles, and I repainted the deck. It does a great job mowing. I had to put a new oil sending unit on the engine(old one was leaking) and a valve cover gasket and the engine runs great. Very pleased with the mower. My uncle bought a new 430 in the mid 80's and probably has close to 10,000 hrs on the little yanmar diesel. They are hard to beat in my opinion. As far as the AWS, mine kind of lurches a little on tight turns, but I have read on this forum that it is a common problem. However, after getting used to the AWS, I have found that it is great for mowing around small trees and other objects. Best $2,500 I have ever spent! Happy mowing!! Eric

HI Eric

Here is e-bay site that I got my seat (joelstractors)
NEW HIGH BACK JOHN DEERE 335 445 GT235 LX173 LT GT GX LAWNMOWER SEAT& BRACKET | eBay
Worked out to be about $127 with freight
Very pleased with the seat I think it is even an OEM JD seat - fit perfectly
He shipped out very promptly - got it in 5 days (I just selected the economy shipping = $17)

Not had any lurching issues with the AWS - so far so good on everything

So glad I took the plunge -
No regrets whatsoever with the 455

My 60" deck just needs some sanding and painting
Have not seen any cracks or anything that needs welded
Originally thought a deck that big would get in the way - but I was pleasantly suprised at how agile the tractor is with AWS
Now I would not be without AWS - I'm sold on it

Is it a big job to take the deck off - looks like it is going to be a heavy brute

You mentioned you bought a CD manual on ebay
Did you get the Technical shop manual or the Owner's manual
Do you by chance have a web site for the manual you purchased?

Thanks

Ron

/ JD 455 Purchase #12  
Ron,

The deck is not that big of a deal to take off. Just unpin the deck hangers and slide the end off of the pto shaft. However, my dad just bought a new 1026R with the auto connect deck and man am I amazed at how fast you can take the deck on and off. I never bought a manual. I just saw them on ebay and I believe my dealer even sells them. The CD manuals are much cheaper than the books. If i'm not mistaken, I believe my dealer told me an owners manual for the 455 was about $100 new.

/ JD 455 Purchase
Ron,

The deck is not that big of a deal to take off. Just unpin the deck hangers and slide the end off of the pto shaft. However, my dad just bought a new 1026R with the auto connect deck and man am I amazed at how fast you can take the deck on and off. I never bought a manual. I just saw them on ebay and I believe my dealer even sells them. The CD manuals are much cheaper than the books. If i'm not mistaken, I believe my dealer told me an owners manual for the 455 was about $100 new.

OK Great
Will get started refurbing the deck soon (when it cools off)
Been about 110 + almost everyday here is AZ

Found a JD owners manual at Green Parts | Where doing Green Makes Sense for $25
The Technical shop manual is $150
Ordered the owners manual (can't quite justify the $150)

Thanks for your help

/ JD 455 Purchase #14  
Glad you found an owners manual. I hear ya on the weather. Been hot and dry here in Tennessee all summer. Just now starting to get some adequate rainfall. Take care!

/ JD 455 Purchase #15  
That looks like a 60 in deck just like mine. I have used it for years and no problems still have the same belt it came with. keep the belt ways and pulleys clean and spindles greased and should last u for years and years. I have a 455 year 93 built still going strong. all I do is put in fuel and grease and keep fluids up. have a good one