JD 455 Purchase

/ JD 455 Purchase #1  

rdpaul

Tractor
3320, 455, 140
HI all

Just picked up a JD 455 diesel All Wheel Steer off Craigslist for $2,300
It's a 2001 with 800 hours
Was not sure about the price but I took a chance because it was a diesel - should have a lot of good hours left - I hope
See pictures attached

Needs a lot of TLC but seems to run great so far
Just ordered a new JD high back off ebay for $127 delivered

In the process of changing all fluids and filters
Will refurb and paint the 60" heavy duty deck asap

Does anyone have a 455 operators/service manual they do not have a use for anymore?
Need to research fluid capacities, filters, and grease points
as well as routine maintenance schedules

Any advice on the 455 would be greatly appreciated
This is my first 455 - I'm updating from about a 1972 JD 140

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice on refurbing and operating this machine

Attachments

• 455  6.30.2012 (C).JPG
    455 6.30.2012 (C).JPG
    960.7 KB · Views: 938
  • 455  6.30.2012 (B).JPG
    455 6.30.2012 (B).JPG
    799.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 455  6.30.2012 (A).JPG
    455 6.30.2012 (A).JPG
    959.6 KB · Views: 1,621
  • 455  6.30.2012 (D).JPG
    455 6.30.2012 (D).JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 720
   / JD 455 Purchase #2  
Nice score.........

Look on e-bay. Type in JD455..........

Good luck

/ JD 455 Purchase #3  
Looks like a great deal. A bit of TLC, and it will shine again. Where did you find it ?

/ JD 455 Purchase #4  
That looks like a great score! I would love to find one at that price, in that condition. You will love that upgrade

/ JD 455 Purchase
Looks like a great deal. A bit of TLC, and it will shine again. Where did you find it ?

Fella in Gilbert, AZ had it on Craigslist
He only had about 1/2 acre to mow
Had another Zero turn mower - had both up for sale and decided to keep which ever one did not sell
I grabbed on to the Deere right away of course
He was asking 2500 but we negotiated to 2300 because it needs a new seat,
has a slight leak from the oil drain valve and going to need a new battery soon

I have mowed 1 acre with it so far - so far seems to run and mow great!
Man it is a real mowing machine
Hardly took anytime to mow at all - compared to my old 140
Have 5 acres at another property - looking forward to mowing it

/ JD 455 Purchase
That looks like a great score! I would love to find one at that price, in that condition. You will love that upgrade

Thanks
So far I'm very pleased with it

Definitely a terrific upgrade from a 140

/ JD 455 Purchase #8  
I purchased a 1994 AWS 455 with 1200 hrs on it a couple years ago for $2500. Like yours it needed some TLC. After replacing some odd and end parts here and there it mows like a champ. As far as the manual goes, you can purchase a CD manual for around $10-$20 I believe. Congrats on your purchase. The 455 is a beast!

/ JD 455 Purchase
I purchased a 1994 AWS 455 with 1200 hrs on it a couple years ago for $2500. Like yours it needed some TLC. After replacing some odd and end parts here and there it mows like a champ. As far as the manual goes, you can purchase a CD manual for around $10-$20 I believe. Congrats on your purchase. The 455 is a beast!

Thanks for the good word Smitty

Found a couple of sites on Ebay for the manual
($9.00 to about $12) very reasonalbe - thanks will get one ordered

I agree it is a mowing beast
Very pleased with the purchase

Ordered a new high back seat off Ebay ($128 delivered)

Ordered some miscellaneous moldings, decals, steering wheel cap and engine drain valve, hydraulic plug cover kit from
GreenPartStore - Parts for John Deere Lawn Tractors, John Deere Lawn & Garden Tractors, John Deere Mowers, John Deere Attachments, John Deere Accessories

Had some oil sepage (I think it's coming from the engine oil drain valve)
so I ordered a new valve
(hope the new valve fixes the problem)

Do you have some pictures of your 455?

Need to pull the deck and refurb it next

Thanks to all

Ron

Have you had any trouble with the AWS
I was reluctant at first but after reading TBN - the AWS does not seem to give any problems

/ JD 455 Purchase #10  
Ron,

I don't have any pics of the 455. I wish I would have taken a few before and after pictures, but I diden't. I still need a new seat and I have thought about repainting the tractor. However, my mower looked very simular to yours. The deck was rusted up pretty bad and had some cracks in it here and there. I had the deck sandblasted, welded the cracks up, rebuilt the spindles, and I repainted the deck. It does a great job mowing. I had to put a new oil sending unit on the engine(old one was leaking) and a valve cover gasket and the engine runs great. Very pleased with the mower. My uncle bought a new 430 in the mid 80's and probably has close to 10,000 hrs on the little yanmar diesel. They are hard to beat in my opinion. As far as the AWS, mine kind of lurches a little on tight turns, but I have read on this forum that it is a common problem. However, after getting used to the AWS, I have found that it is great for mowing around small trees and other objects. Best $2,500 I have ever spent! Happy mowing!! Eric