X740 and 748 changes over the years?

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
Seriously consdiering the X740 or 748 tractor, but I'm torn between 2wd and 4wd. I have a x748 here on demo and it's OK, but I'm not sure about the 4x4 system. I'm kinda leaning towards finding an older one (2008) with manual shift 4x4. Any other major changes that I would miss out on?

Also assuming that the 7 iron deck remains unchanged for the past several years?

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #2  
I don't think there is a bunch of differences the hyd powered front end that was a substantial change. Not aware of any issues with that system. As far as I know can still do 7 iron on the earlier 700's w/ exception of 4ws, could be wrong on that though.

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years?
From looking at pics of used ones it appears as though the gauge wheels have changed on the 7 iron. Earlier ones were narrower plus the rear wheels were dog leg. It appears that the later decks shifted the rear wheel spindles out and went to a straight fork style.

If anyone has any input as to experience with the early 4x4 versus the late 4x4 would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / X740 and 748 changes over the years? #4  
KennedyDiesel said:
From looking at pics of used ones it appears as though the gauge wheels have changed on the 7 iron. Earlier ones were narrower plus the rear wheels were dog leg. It appears that the later decks shifted the rear wheel spindles out and went to a straight fork style.

If anyone has any input as to experience with the early 4x4 versus the late 4x4 would be appreciated.

I have a 2004 X595 and I was just told that the 7 iron deck was not compatible with it. You should look for a 2007 or 2008 model. I believe they had manual switching between 2 and 4wd, and the 7 iron deck is definitely compatible. Best of both worlds. Just stay away from the 4 wheel steer model, that also doesn't work with the 7 iron deck. Good luck

I'm back to distrust of teh specs again. The x700 series 2ws are supposed to have a 25" turning radius. My 455 is supposed to be 2.16' according to tractor data. Real world testing my 455 cuts a much tighter radius than the 748. Not sure how much of this is the awd, but I did the test on concrete.

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #6  
I'm back to distrust of teh specs again. The x700 series 2ws are supposed to have a 25" turning radius. My 455 is supposed to be 2.16' according to tractor data. Real world testing my 455 cuts a much tighter radius than the 748. Not sure how much of this is the awd, but I did the test on concrete.

This is just my take on this, and a lot of people will disagree with me, but unless your going to buy a zero turn, or a 4WS tractor, turning radius does not matter much when buying a machine. It is what it is, and if you care about turning radius, you need to be looking at 4 Wheel Steer, or a Zero-Turn.

Not much has changed on these machines in the last 5 years now. I know for a fact that all 2012 and up DIESEL X7xx series machines (X740. X748, X749) have a smaller engine in them. The fuel injection went from mechanical to electric, and the RPM's run slightly higher I believe. I have a 2012 X748SE, and the diesel is no slouch. It has a ton of power in reserve, and the fuel economy is amazing to say the least.

I have heard, but never looked into this myself, that the X748 has a larger hydraulic pump, obviously because of the All Wheel Drive system that is driven by oil, and not a drive-shaft.

Overall, AWD over 2WD comes down to a personal preference and what you need. The same debate comes up in purchasing a pickup truck. You might not use 4X4 for a year, but one day you will be stuck somewhere with no help, and you will wish you had purchased the 4X4. A good example is on the weekend, I was away, while my wife was hauling her horse trailer around. She has only done this a few times so far. At our place you have to drive through about 500 feet of muddy soft ground to get to the barn. She became stuck and because she was so used to having 2WD vehicles, she was fighting with it, rocking it back and forth. About 30 seconds later she remembered, I made her buy a 4X4. She engaged it and the truck walked right out like nothing and dragged the trailer through the mud like it wasn't even there. When we went truck shopping for her, I insisted on 4WD because I said, one day you will be in a sticky spot, and I won't be there to help you. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

The moral of the story is, on tractors ESPECIALLY, I always suggest 4WD, in this case, All Wheel Drive. Tractors are designed to work in mud and dirt, where AWD is most useful, not ordering a AWD machine is crippling the machines capabilities. If you will only ever cut grass on flat ground, and you intend to keep the machine for a lot of years, than 2WD might be better for you. Keep in mind, if you ever do have to sell, X748 tractors sell faster than you can get them. X740's tend to sit on the lot, because very few people want, or can get by, with a 2WD machine.

Don't let complexity scare you. The X700 Series All Wheel Drive is a very simple system with few moving parts, it's very reliable because there is no drive-shaft, u-joints, and a lot less bearings. Maintenance is slightly more expensive as the hydraulic oil changes are larger, so you will need more oil when it comes time to drain the hydro system for maintenance. Again, not enough to matter really.

I've written down this tractor depreciation wise several years ago and I'd really like to upgrade to something with a better cut.

Primary use for this machine is to cut grass. As of late 99% of the time SHE does the mowing. I brought home the 724 and she hated the 4ws and I disliked it. That is solved. The 748 she says is too big and can't get into the places that the 455 can. The seat also has you up in the tree limbs more. Right now I'm at a standstill. I could just go and buy one then I'd get stuck doing the mowing. I'm sure I could manage (usually I'm in my garden in the evenings) BUT I'd get the forever nagging because I don't "mow like you're the one doing the push mowing or You'd trim a lot closer"

OK so my observances right wrong, or otherwise:

The 724 gasser seemed to drive faster. It just seemed like a it was way more responsive and seemed to have a higher top speed.

The 748 is still faster and more responsive than the 455, it's just different

The deck to me is easier to R&R on the 455 as the J hooks pull right out. No driving foward and back etc although the 7 iron wil be different again.

The 724 and 748 to me had a better ride and handling. They made the 455 feel choppy.

The 700's also had an overly responsive hydro pedal. I found that unless you keep your heel planted on the floor you could easily set up an oscillation or repetitive surge in the hydro.

I like the deck level adjust on the 455 better with it's 1/8" increments versus the vague dial which while simple to operate lacks feel and refinement.

I'm going to sit on this one for a while and see if she warms up to the idea...

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #8  
If you want smaller than a X700 series, the X500 series is your machine.

However, you say cut quality is important to you. You can only get the 7 Iron deck on the x700 series machines as far as riding mowers go, and it is the deck to have if cut quality and discharge quality are very important to you. More or less you will have to decide if you want a smaller machine, which lands you in the X500 series, or a superior cut, with a much better riding and handling machine, which is the X700 series. Granted, the X700 series sits up fairly high, but I like that. To me, the X500 series is still a riding mower with a dry electric clutch, carburetor for fuel delivery, and lacking hydraulics for plows and snow blowers. It is however, the nicest riding mower you will get into before stepping into a super garden tractor like the X700 series.

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #9  
I have a X748se with 7 Iron, for all the comments about AWS it's hard to believe that there are many places you can't mow the 748 24 inch turning radius, The 7 Iron works great. I also have no problems with the hydro pedal, It is very easy to hold small increments for me.

I don't think you buy a 748 because you need it. I think you buy it because you want it. It's basically a bigger tractor in a small skin (I have several larger tractors). All in all. I love mine. BTW if you spring for a 748, so SE to get the great seat.

Andy

/ X740 and 748 changes over the years? #10  
We used to have a 425 and sold it and got a X720. The best improvements of the X720 over the 425 is the pedal design and the hood opening changes. I think the X720 rides better. Haven't really seen the need for 4WD with what we do with it. Just don't let anyone talk you into getting a gas model like our X720. It uses more fuel than our Kubota L3940, maybe even the JD 5065M.