X595 or X748 whats your pick?

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
Ok the X595 has the ability to switch between 2 and 4wd, which means it has a drive shaft to the front wheels. The X748 is constant AWD, or is it 4wd, not sure. I am told that it does not have a front drive shaft, but works through the hyd. system.

I know if I keep my 595 in 4wd it will tare up the lawn on tight turns, what about the 748? If it doesn't, then I have to question if it's true 4wd or is it just AWD?

I have a 2004 X595 with 78 hours on it. My dealer first offered me $8000 then called back and raised it to $9000, if I traded it in for a new X748 with a 7 iron deck. He would give me the new machine for $13000. So for an additional $4000, I can have a brand new machine with a warranty.

My question is which is a better tractor, and why does he want mine so much? I mean, I realize he wants to make a sale, but with the numbers I was quoted, how much can he be making? What's really attracting me is the 7 iron deck, which isn't compatible with my machine. Any suggestions?

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #2  
Do it!

The x748se has modulated front wheel speed. It's HFWD system varies the amount of front wheel speed according to the angle of steering, no scuffing! You'll be getting a superior machine in the aspects of engine, drivetrain, and mow deck. I think it only makes sense to jump on that deal. When will your 595 be worth more than $9000 again?

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #3  
Ok the X595 has the ability to switch between 2 and 4wd, which means it has a drive shaft to the front wheels. The X748 is constant AWD, or is it 4wd, not sure. I am told that it does not have a front drive shaft, but works through the hyd. system.

I know if I keep my 595 in 4wd it will tare up the lawn on tight turns, what about the 748? If it doesn't, then I have to question if it's true 4wd or is it just AWD?

I have a 2004 X595 with 78 hours on it. My dealer first offered me $8000 then called back and raised it to $9000, if I traded it in for a new X748 with a 7 iron deck. He would give me the new machine for $13000. So for an additional $4000, I can have a brand new machine with a warranty.

My question is which is a better tractor, and why does he want mine so much? I mean, I realize he wants to make a sale, but with the numbers I was quoted, how much can he be making? What's really attracting me is the 7 iron deck, which isn't compatible with my machine. Any suggestions?

I would say if a John Deere Dealer offered you $9,000 for a JD X595 in a trade for X748 you had better be signing the papers before they get his/her MED's straighten out.

Look what one can get for five hundred more:

Only 84 hours on this diesel-powered 3 cylinder Deere. 25HP. Tilt wheel, power steering, hydrostatic transmission, 12v outlet, front and rear work lights, halogen headlights, 62 inch mulching mower, 45" rear mount PTO tiller, Ltd Cat 1 3 pt hitch, front/mid/rear hydraulics, HD AP Tires, brush guard, suitcase weights. Garage kept. Only takes 1/4 of standard 2-car garage.

Asking $9500 for entire package.

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick?
I would say if a John Deere Dealer offered you $9,000 for a JD X595 in a trade for X748 you had better be signing the papers before they get his/her MED's straighten out.

Look what one can get for five hundred more:

Only 84 hours on this diesel-powered 3 cylinder Deere. 25HP. Tilt wheel, power steering, hydrostatic transmission, 12v outlet, front and rear work lights, halogen headlights, 62 inch mulching mower, 45" rear mount PTO tiller, Ltd Cat 1 3 pt hitch, front/mid/rear hydraulics, HD AP Tires, brush guard, suitcase weights. Garage kept. Only takes 1/4 of standard 2-car garage.

Asking $9500 for entire package.

What model tractor are you selling and what year is it?

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #5  
What model tractor are you selling and what year is it?

I am not selling. I found a listing for the 2007 X595 being offered for $9,500 when I was checking on if a X595 was worth $9,000 on a trade. Dealers usually offer a thousand - or- more less than they think they can sell an item for on trades.

Dealers also have a used equipment "Blue Book". Like the "Kelly Blue Book for Autos" but only list lawn equipment (Lawn and Garden Tractors)

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #6  
This is something that as you know I have been studying. The 748 will not tear up lawn. It does seem to push a bit on loose gravel, but I haven't compared to a 2wd model. The 4x4's front tire/wheels are kind of goofy to me. Very low profile tires.

I've heard lots of different theories on how the front assist works but can tell you at a glance that it's a simple linkage system. There is an additional tie rod on the RH spindle that apparently runs to a pair of valves and runs a plate of sorts that regulates flow to each wheel independently.

Based on what your dealer is offering I would not hesitate on that one if you are willing to give up your 455.

FYI I've been quoted outright $12,500 for X748 with 7 iron and upgrade seat from one dealer and about 12,200 from another. $12,500 for x748SE 7 iron

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #7  
From my use of the x749 I have not had any scuffing problems with the hydraulic variable front wheel drive. So far it has worked very well for me.
The x748 with the same front axle and the 7 iron deck would be a nice improvement over the x595, whether it is worth the extra upgrade expense is something you will have to decide. Both of these, x585 and x748 are great mowers imo. If you need the fwd when mowing often that would tend to favor the x748.

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #8  

If I were you I would drop everything your doing and get down there and sign that deal before the salesman comes to his senses.

That is a very good offer for your machine.

The X748 is superior to the X595. I see a lot of people say they want manual selection of 4WD, but that is a case of "old habits die hard" The All-Wheel Drive system of the X748 is far superior to mechanical 4WD in both performance and reliability. It truly is a VERY simple system. Since the valves are constantly lubricated in hydraulic oil, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than having a part fail on the All-Wheel Drive system of the X748.

If you think a AWD system that doesn't tear up the lawn isn't true 4WD...than your seriously mistaken my friend. The wheels are still turning up front, that has not changed, the method of power delivery has changed. Who cares how the wheels get there front power, as long as they get power, whether it's through drive-shafts, or pressurized oil, it doesn't matter. Pressurized oil is better because you have no drive-shaft, no bearings for that drive-shaft, no u-joints, and no differential up front. Pressurized oil is far stronger than mechanical parts like u-joints and drive-shafts. Just look at what earth moving equipment can do, that's all because of hydraulic oil under pressure. A u-joint or drive-shaft will snap long before a hydraulic component will even become stressed.

Don't be insulted, but like I said before, don't be stuck in the old ways of 40 years ago where you refuse to go with anything but what you know and remember. Mechanical 4WD should be outlawed. It is COMPLETELY inefficient, and unreliable. All vehicles should be driven by an electric motor in each wheel, powered by a generator, that is powered by a diesel engine. This is exactly how locomotives work. They can pull massive weights and have unreal amounts of power, because there is no mechanical drive-line. The diesel engine powers a generator, which sends power to traction motors, huge electric motors that power each axle. Since there is no drive-line, you don't lose over 30% of your power just getting the power to wheels through transmissions, transfer cases, drive-shafts, differentials, and than finally axles. With a motor at each wheel, the power is already there, and you lose almost nothing due to inefficiency.

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick?
KennedyDiesel said:
FYI I've been quoted outright $12,500 for X748 with 7 iron and upgrade seat from one dealer and about 12,200 from another. $12,500 for x748SE 7 iron

Well it seems like everyone is for the X748. Lots of good points. I had no idea that the front wheels were powered hydraulically. Sounds like the perfect set up.

Kennedy I have no doubt that the numbers he quoted me were his bottom line, especially considering the trade-in offer. Not sure where you got your prices, but keep in mind that I am about 45 minutes north of NYC, and prices up here always seem to be a good amount higher, unfortunately.

Now comes the big question, do I get the 748 with the 7 iron deck (which is why I considered the trade in to begin with) or do I look at the 749 with a regular deck. (something very cool about the 4 wheel steering system) I have recently seen a discussion on that very same question. I guess I will be looking it up.

Thanks again everyone

/ X595 or X748 whats your pick? #10  
If I were you I would drop everything your doing and get down there and sign that deal before the salesman comes to his senses.

That is a very good offer for your machine.

The X748 is superior to the X595. I see a lot of people say they want manual selection of 4WD, but that is a case of "old habits die hard" The All-Wheel Drive system of the X748 is far superior to mechanical 4WD in both performance and reliability. It truly is a VERY simple system. Since the valves are constantly lubricated in hydraulic oil, you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than having a part fail on the All-Wheel Drive system of the X748.

If you think a AWD system that doesn't tear up the lawn isn't true 4WD...than your seriously mistaken my friend. The wheels are still turning up front, that has not changed, the method of power delivery has changed. Who cares how the wheels get there front power, as long as they get power, whether it's through drive-shafts, or pressurized oil, it doesn't matter. Pressurized oil is better because you have no drive-shaft, no bearings for that drive-shaft, no u-joints, and no differential up front. Pressurized oil is far stronger than mechanical parts like u-joints and drive-shafts. Just look at what earth moving equipment can do, that's all because of hydraulic oil under pressure. A u-joint or drive-shaft will snap long before a hydraulic component will even become stressed.

Don't be insulted, but like I said before, don't be stuck in the old ways of 40 years ago where you refuse to go with anything but what you know and remember. Mechanical 4WD should be outlawed. It is COMPLETELY inefficient, and unreliable. All vehicles should be driven by an electric motor in each wheel, powered by a generator, that is powered by a diesel engine. This is exactly how locomotives work. They can pull massive weights and have unreal amounts of power, because there is no mechanical drive-line. The diesel engine powers a generator, which sends power to traction motors, huge electric motors that power each axle. Since there is no drive-line, you don't lose over 30% of your power just getting the power to wheels through transmissions, transfer cases, drive-shafts, differentials, and than finally axles. With a motor at each wheel, the power is already there, and you lose almost nothing due to inefficiency.

to say in a blanket statment one is better is incorrect, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

hydraulic is NOT superior by ANY MEANS! any hydraulic system has HOSES and lines that can be damaged and make the machine inoperable. the driveshaft and u-joints will take more of a hit without failure than hyd components. and hyd motors and control valves are EXPENSIVE and can LEAK, they can also be damaged by heat. the construction equipment has HUGE oil coolers to compensate for the heat that their hyd systems. I have seen SEVERAL hydros ruined by heat breaking down the oil and scoring the pump and/or motors.

Electric is also NOT better necessarily. the ONLY reason a locomotive is electric is being able to START the load, a mechanical system strong enought to withstand and apply the torque is impractical in this application. electric is NOT a lossless system, you lose power in creating the electricity, in the circuit itself thru resistance and converting it back to motion. and AGAIN the electric generators, motors and the required controllers are ALL EXPENSIVE!
Tell me how electric is better when my DIESEL MANUAL trans Jetta can get the same or BETTER mileage as a Prius? and I don't have a $4000 battery system that has to be replaced right after it is out of warranty.

Last edited: