This doesn't look good (JD 748)?

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
After a muddy session I was getting ready to power wash our JD 748 and saw that the rubber housing in the attached pics had been torn.

It looks to be more than a minor job to fit a new one, but also is there another piece of some kind missing where the shaft is coupled with the front axle? Just doesn't look right as I'm seeing it now but as I've never paid that much attention before so not sure what I should be seeing.

shaft_1.jpg shaft_2.jpg

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #2  
Unless it is just hidden from view it seems to be missing the drive shaft. Should be something connecting from the transmission. Have you looked up underneath?

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #3  
The parts catalog leads me to believe that the rubber boot is there to keep the U-bolt clean and free of debris. The pipe collar "floating" ahead of it in your picture seems to back that up.

Try sliding the boot forward as you may find a release collar to pull the drive shaft back and that boot would then come right off.

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)?
The parts catalog leads me to believe that the rubber boot is there to keep the U-bolt clean and free of debris. The pipe collar "floating" ahead of it in your picture seems to back that up.

That's it exactly. I had the service guy at the dealer take a look this morning and he confirmed that the rubber boot wasn't necessarily mission critical, but rather useful for the purpose you describe. I just was concerned that there may be another part or collar of some kind missing. He said if I can't get it back on in some fashion that it would be ok to remove it untill I get a replacement. Apparently the shaft itself has to be disconnected to do that given the boot is a solid piece.

Thanks to all for the input!

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #5  
Although the dealer is "ok" with you operating without it, you will still likely want to be cautious. That part wasn't installed for absolutely no reason... ;)

You might want to ask another dealer maybe even get some other 748 owners to chime in on what it is truly for and under what circumstances you could run without it (think 'heat shield' on your exhaust... They are NOT critical for vehicles that are never parked or operated on anything other than pavement / asphalt).

Also - I earlier said U-bolt, meant U-joint. It seems that you knew what I meant, though, so hopefully all good there.

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)?
Although the dealer is "ok" with you operating without it, you will still likely want to be cautious. That part wasn't installed for absolutely no reason... ;)

Indeed. I've got some areas I have to get mowed in the next couple of days, then I'll take it out of action until I can get a new collar installed.

As you're seen from the pics, not a lot of pavement /asphalt anywhere around here!

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #7  
Indeed. I've got some areas I have to get mowed in the next couple of days, then I'll take it out of action until I can get a new collar installed.

As you're seen from the pics, not a lot of pavement /asphalt anywhere around here!

If there was a lot, you probably wouldn't need the mower. :D

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #8  
the protective boot is to to keep grass, weeds, fingers, etc. out of the u-joints. Is it critical for operation, no, but if you run in long grass it may wind around the drive shaft and become a real tangled messthat could lead to damage of some other components.

Roy

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #9  
I had a similar type boot fail on a 30 year old Ford 1100 I recently bought. I didn't want to try to disconnect a drive shaft for the 4wd so I bought a $3 rubber drain pipe connector, split it to slip over the shaft, trimmed it to the correct diameter, and glued the split with some good rubber glue after I had it over the shaft. Is held in place with hose clamps as the original was. Worked great, was fast and easy, and cost about $10 total. I'll try to attach a photo of the finished installation. I put a piece of duct tape over my glued seam for added protection.

View attachment 276882

/ This doesn't look good (JD 748)? #10  
it doesn't look like a horrible fix actually,
see if you can look back where the shaft comes
out of the transaxle, you should have a bolt you can
remove, and take the whole shaft off, replace the boot,
and reinstall fairly quickly.
see if this helps:

1. Remove nuts (C) and bolts.

2. Slide the drive shaft (A) toward the front of the machine, removing the rear drive shaft yoke from the differential drive shaft (B).

3. Slide drive shaft toward rear of machine to remove shaft from the differential input shaft.

4. Inspect all parts for wear or damage. Replace any unserviceable parts.

Note: The U-joint yokes are not serviced separately. If either yoke is damaged, replace the drive shaft.

Attachments

• MX14379161.jpg
    MX14379161.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 166