X585 Tranny Problem????

/ X585 Tranny Problem???? #1  

NitroX5

Tractor
John Deere 3520
I am demo-ing a 2003 Deere X585 tractor with a 62 inch deck. The unit is very clean, well maintained. Engine is a Kawi 25 hp liquid cooled and runs flawlessly with 546 hours on it. My question is on the transmission. When you release the pedal, regardless of forward or release, it coast to a stop instead of the traditional sudden stop in a hydro tranny.

In all my hydro tractors I have owned, I have never ran into this. Do you think the tranny is failing or weak, or is this normal in this series? I did climb a fairly steep pile of dirt to check the 4X4 and it climbed it with ease with no jerking and plenty of power.

Any help or comments are more than welcomed!!

Ty

/ X585 Tranny Problem???? #2  
I am demo-ing a 2003 Deere X585 tractor with a 62 inch deck. The unit is very clean, well maintained. Engine is a Kawi 25 hp liquid cooled and runs flawlessly with 546 hours on it. My question is on the transmission. When you release the pedal, regardless of forward or release, it coast to a stop instead of the traditional sudden stop in a hydro tranny.

In all my hydro tractors I have owned, I have never ran into this. Do you think the tranny is failing or weak, or is this normal in this series? I did climb a fairly steep pile of dirt to check the 4X4 and it climbed it with ease with no jerking and plenty of power.

Any help or comments are more than welcomed!!

Ty

Hello to Janesville, I bought 2 miniature donkeys there. I drive through there occasionally.

What you are describing is exactly the way my x748 (2006) is. It is probably the same tranny. Mine has 890 hours on it, I bought it new, and it's always been that way. It's a big difference from my 4720, which will actually lock the wheels when you let up on the pedal abruptly. For lawn mowing, I kind of like the "softer" action. I actually set my 4720's "motion match" all the way soft to try and make it more like my 748.

These machines seem to be pretty "bulletproof". If it's a good deal, I'd buy it. I don't like the hydraulic FWD that they switched to recently. I've never played with it, so I shouldn't knock it. I just don't like the idea of it.

Last edited:
   / X585 Tranny Problem???? #3  
Ditto!! I've got a X595 and mine operates the same way. I also noticed that I can actually push mine forward when not running (although it does take some effort). I believe that's just the way these are. Mine has 480 hours on it, and I've only had it a couple months. I'm am more than happy with it, an hear that these are awsome in winter for snowblowing. If the price is right; go for it!!!

:thumbsup:

/ X585 Tranny Problem???? #4  
Ditto!! I've got a X595 and mine operates the same way. I also noticed that I can actually push mine forward when not running (although it does take some effort). I believe that's just the way these are. Mine has 480 hours on it, and I've only had it a couple months. I'm am more than happy with it, an hear that these are awsome in winter for snowblowing. If the price is right; go for it!!!

:thumbsup:

I have a snowblower for mine. It works great. The diesel never bogs down.

/ X585 Tranny Problem???? #5  
sounds like an adjustment issue not a problem?