New X700 series.

/ New X700 series. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
So, has everyone seen the new X700 series machines?

Scroll down a little more than half-way for photos:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=250573&page=9

At first I didn't like it, but now that I have spent the day searching for information, I am pleased with it.

It seems the standard yellow decks are now discontinued for this machine. From now on, every X700 model will come standard with a HC deck (High Capacity) It is identical to the 7-Iron, except that it is 9 gauge steel, and the Auto-connect feature IS AVAILABLE! So basically, every X700 will now be standard with a 7-iron deck, but with thinner steel, and you will gain AutoConnect. Definitely getting more for your money here. The decks will be yellow now instead of green.

I agree with the decision to lighten the gauge of the mower deck. 7 gauge makes for a very heavy thick mower, and even at 9 gauge, it is more than enough thickness for durability and strength.

I for one am excited about this. I am going to try and talk my in-laws into buying my X748 off of me so I can pick one of these up without a loss. I am very interested to see what other changes this machine brings. Apparently the issue with grass clogging the screens on these machines has been resolved now. If you look, the screens are part of the hood now.

I already phoned my dealer and told them to phone me as soon as I can order one, guess I will be the guinea pig!

/ New X700 series. #2  
From looking at the photos, the mower deck looks very similar to the High Capacity (HC) mower deck on my EZ-trak 655 and they added the plates in order to drive over the mower. If it mows grass like my EZ-trak 655, it'll be a winner!

Bill

/ New X700 series. #3  
I think if I was looking today I would price compare a 700 series with a 1023 and 1026.

/ New X700 series. #4  
I like the auto connect and high capacity deck improvements that was a good move no Deere's part. The rest we will have to see. Don't think I will be interested in changing out my mower though. If I add a 2520 or 2720 with fel to my collection the auto connect feature will be of less importance for me.

It will be interesting to see how the new line works out and willl follow this.

/ New X700 series. #5  
I think if I was looking today I would price compare a 700 series with a 1023 and 1026.

I think the x700 series and the 1000 series are very close in their abilities most people seem to think they are getting alot more in a 1000 series machine. I think they are getting a little more choice in implements available no doubt but loose a little in manuevering compared to a 4ws dedicated mower. For the guys who need an all in one tool with fel, mmm and a strong emphasis on 3PH use the 1026R would be the better choice. For close quarters work in tight lawn areas the x749 with the 3PH is a better choice.

My issue with the Kubota BX and the Deere 1000 series is both of these are too small to get much real work done. As long as the new tractor buyers are aware of the limitations of these small machines it doesn't matter but I suspect alot of these buyers will find how limited they are after buying several attachments and have a high investment in these machines.

/ New X700 series. #6  
I think the x700 series and the 1000 series are very close in their abilities most people seem to think they are getting alot more in a 1000 series machine. I think they are getting a little more choice in implements available no doubt but loose a little in manuevering compared to a 4ws dedicated mower. For the guys who need an all in one tool with fel, mmm and a strong emphasis on 3PH use the 1026R would be the better choice. For close quarters work in tight lawn areas the x749 with the 3PH is a better choice.

My issue with the Kubota BX and the Deere 1000 series is both of these are too small to get much real work done. As long as the new tractor buyers are aware of the limitations of these small machines it doesn't matter but I suspect alot of these buyers will find how limited they are after buying several attachments and have a high investment in these machines.

For single unit purchase for residential use only, on 1-3 acres a 1023 or 1026 I feel provides the home owner with a lot of options. For serious work your 4520 would be ideal and the unit I would go looking for. The 1023 or 1026 comes standard with the three point and PTO. These would be an option on the 700 series. The use of three point tools, fertilizer - grass seed distribution, spraying equipment, carry - all to lug items around if the front end loader was not purchased, etc, gives the home owner flexibility in maintaining their lawn. Tag along equipment constrains and limits useage areas. Now if one never intends to do any yard maintenance, only mow, then a ZTR would be the unit to purchase. Allows for quick maneuverability around trees and shrugs. A 700 series or the 1023 and 1026 will also maneuver around shrubs and trees, just take a few seconds longer.

Residential lawn maintenance tools available for a JD 1023 or 1026.

Position control
Front end loader
Backhoe
Mowing deck – Middle mount – Rear Mount
Rotary Cutter
Three Point Sprayer
Three Point Fertilizer Distributor
Generator
Tiller
Carry All
Scrape Blade
Box Blade
Middle Buster
Front Snow Blower (Also for 700 Series) Rear Snow Blower
Front Scrape Blade - Also available for 700 series
Chipper - Shredder for limb or shrubbery trimmings debris reduction

I think a home owner making a single unit large purchase for either one, a 700 series or the 1023 or 1026 should make a listing of what they intend to or want to use the unit for, look at the standard features on each and the cost, and then purchase the unit that best fits their needs.

/ New X700 series. #7  
It seems the standard yellow decks are now discontinued for this machine. From now on, every X700 model will come standard with a HC deck (High Capacity) It is identical to the 7-Iron, except that it is 9 gauge steel, and the Auto-connect feature IS AVAILABLE! So basically, every X700 will now be standard with a 7-iron deck, but with thinner steel, and you will gain AutoConnect. Definitely getting more for your money here. The decks will be yellow now instead of green.

I'm confused? The decks in the thread you posted were yellow?

/ New X700 series.
I have to agree with jenkinsph.

The difference between the X700 series and the 1000 series is very small, so much so that it comes down to your needs more than the price.

For me, I need a mean lean mowing machine. We have about 3 acres of grass that needs to be mowed sometimes twice a week. I haul a lot of dirt, gravel, and yard debris around, and I need something with good power to pull the big loads.

From what I have heard, the new X700 series will be cheaper than the comparable machine from right now. What you must remember, is your getting a 7-iron deck, for less than you paid for the regular old yellow decks. No, it's not 7 gauge steel, but these new high capacity decks, are IDENTICAL, in every way to the 7-iron, except for thickness. Right now, this deck alone adds $1,000 to the price of a machine if you went to buy today. I am glad John Deere has finally done this. The X700 series has always been the premium machine, commanding the best of the best. Yet for years, you were stuck with the same deck that X500 series machines have. It's like putting cheap car seats in a $100,000 car. Now EVERY X700 series will mow like the premium machine it is.

The auto-connect feature is enough to sell me on trading up. I have my deck on and off an awful lot, sometimes 2 or 3 times per day. I need it off for ground clearance when I am hauling stuff and plowing, but than I need the mower back for mowing, and it does become a pain to get off and hook it up again every time.

I could be wrong but it looks as though this new series is slightly smaller than the current series X700. It might be only a few inches, but it could make a difference.

/ New X700 series. #9  
Where I mow, flat ground, lots of trees and shrubs, with my present z-turn and JD345 lawn tractor (or a JDX740 which I am considering) work best due to the turning radius vs. a JD1000 series or a small Kubota. I have no use for 4x4, 3-point hitch, and/or a rear PTO on the X series which are only added expense to purchase and maintain. The rest of the mostly open flat and gente sloped 10-12 acres I mow with my Kubota L3830 with a 6' Bush Hog finish mower.

Bill

/ New X700 series.
I'm confused? The decks in the thread you posted were yellow?

From now on, the HC (High Capacity) decks are yellow. The 7-Iron decks are green, but this is a 9 gauge deck, with the exact same design. Take a look at the photos again, look at the deck closely, you will see it is in fact a 7-iron deck painted yellow with 9 gauge steel. There is no mistaking a 7-Iron style deck for the regular old decks. I think Deere is renaming the 7-Iron to High Capacity, because I heard the 7-Iron is now discontinued, but I think that is only for the X700 machines.

All this time, the 7-Iron deck has been shoe horned into the X700 series to sell a premium machine. Now, this deck is specifically designed for the X700 series, so I think fit, finish, and functionality are going to be top notch.