John Deere 318 vs 322

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
Hi to all, I am weighing the options and cost of a 318 to a 322. I know of the huge advantage with the liquid cooled yanmar motor, but have also been told the onan v-twin is a great motor. My other concern is that if the tanmar goes up, my options are limited to a rebuild, but with the 318 a new engine is a phone call away. Is it worth the extra cash for the 322?

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #2  
Need more info. What is the price difference compared to condition of each. The 322 will be worth more. The the tractor will be worn out long before the yanmar gives you trouble with proper service.

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #3  
Agree on the 322. I had one. Great motor for sure. Smooth, quiet, and wasn't bad on fuel. Basically gas version of the 332 so the block is strong. As stated. Condition/hours and pricing factors. I would still have the 322 but moved up to a 455.

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #4  
A new engine for the 318 is just a phone call away but far outvalues the unit as a whole. The problem can be on an older unit like that is the 2k investment for a power unit only to have the tranny or another substantial failure occur. Don't get me wrong I think the 318 was (is) a great machine but is getting aged. If the price was right I would not be afraid of either, would certainly be easier to find a parts 318 machine than the 322.

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #5  
The problem can be on an older unit like that is the 2k investment for a power unit only to have the tranny or another substantial failure occur.

That would be a very rare occurrence.

Greg

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #6  
That would be a very rare occurrence.

Greg

I would not have stated that to be the case if I had not seen it happen (more than once). Again though I believe these are both great machines and personaly I would prefer the 318 but I am a fan of that vintage and style of machine. I liked the looks of them, I am also biased (extremely) twoards JD, I really like them. That said there is starting to be some issues on those vintage of machines for repair items. If priced appropriatly either unit is a good purchase IMAO. You obviously enjoy the looks of that style machine as it states you have a restored 316, also one of my favorite units and I will be jealous of anyone who has a good one. Was not trying to offend anyone who has one, my bad. I should also add that I always thought of their power units where darn good power units and typically if there was substantial issues with the engine then there was issues with the rest of the machine. The engine held up well, if not better than later model units I think.

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #7  
I would not have stated that to be the case if I had not seen it happen (more than once). Again though I believe these are both great machines and personaly I would prefer the 318 but I am a fan of that vintage and style of machine. I liked the looks of them, I am also biased (extremely) twoards JD, I really like them. That said there is starting to be some issues on those vintage of machines for repair items. If priced appropriatly either unit is a good purchase IMAO. You obviously enjoy the looks of that style machine as it states you have a restored 316, also one of my favorite units and I will be jealous of anyone who has a good one. Was not trying to offend anyone who has one, my bad. I should also add that I always thought of their power units where darn good power units and typically if there was substantial issues with the engine then there was issues with the rest of the machine. The engine held up well, if not better than later model units I think.

You didn't offend me (or anyone else for that matter) at all. It's just powertrain failures concerning those machines is almost unheard of. Not that it couldn't happen though,as you stated.
Yes,I do very much like the looks of those old 300's. What an awesome machine JD invented with that series.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #8  
If they would have had a foot hydro they would be perfect. They are almost bulletproof. I had a parts guy tell me at the local dealer he is glad they didn't make all the lawn and garden tractors that good.:thumbsup:

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #9  
I actually like the hand hydro on my 332. It has dual brakes so the hand control for the speed leaves the right foot for brakes if needed. No awkward foot movement to contend with either. Downside to the 332 is that you have to remove the rider platform to clean the hydro screen at least that is what I found to be easiest.
By the way I just finished putting in a set of bearings one the left side of the mower. It has sealed bearings rather than grease fitting. I did lay in a layer of grease between the bearing for extra protection. Price surprised me as only $7.60 each. I also put on new primary and secondary drive belts which was a little high dollar at $48 and $34 respectively but now I should be good to go till another bearing goes out. Now that the learning curve is finished on replacement, I might could do the job in half a day now. You just about have to remove the deck to put on the belt but I might try it with it on next time as it really is a two man job to get the deck back on what with belt tension etc and trying to push the deck back while inserting 6 pins with the last two requiring some pulling and tugging. I like the mower and use if as my secondary machine along with my ZTR. It rides a bit smoother on the rough ground than the Craftsman.

/ John Deere 318 vs 322 #10  
Gary Fowler said:
I actually like the hand hydro on my 332. It has dual brakes so the hand control for the speed leaves the right foot for brakes if needed. No awkward foot movement to contend with either. Downside to the 332 is that you have to remove the rider platform to clean the hydro screen at least that is what I found to be easiest.
By the way I just finished putting in a set of bearings one the left side of the mower. It has sealed bearings rather than grease fitting. I did lay in a layer of grease between the bearing for extra protection. Price surprised me as only $7.60 each. I also put on new primary and secondary drive belts which was a little high dollar at $48 and $34 respectively but now I should be good to go till another bearing goes out. Now that the learning curve is finished on replacement, I might could do the job in half a day now. You just about have to remove the deck to put on the belt but I might try it with it on next time as it really is a two man job to get the deck back on what with belt tension etc and trying to push the deck back while inserting 6 pins with the last two requiring some pulling and tugging. I like the mower and use if as my secondary machine along with my ZTR. It rides a bit smoother on the rough ground than the Craftsman.

What you need is an operators' manual. There is a screen under the tractor which you remove to clean it. Just eight or so screws and you are in business! You can lubricate the universal joint and change the trans filter after it's removed. Simple!