GT275 Drive Belt Replacement

/ GT275 Drive Belt Replacement #1  

TNSuperC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall Super C, Ford 3600
I just changed the drive belt on my 1995 GT275. The belt I replaced had chunks missing but it still pulled fine. Thought I'd post this to help you save a few sawbucks.
The drive belt part # is M119713. It cost about $60 out-the-door from your local dealer. Here is how I did it:

Belt removal:

1. Remove the mower deck.
2. Jack the front of the tractor up using floor jack and put blocks under the front tires; scotch rear tires.
Note: When you crawl under the tractor, there are two pulleys that have "belt guards." It will be obvious when you get under there.
3. Remove the "guarded pulley" mounted to the frame (15mm socket).
4. Remove belt guard from "guarded pulley" mounted to the tensioner (15mm socket); the pulley doesn't need to be removed.
5. Remove the tensioner spring.
6. There should be enough slack in the belt to slip it off the bottom of the rear pulley (one with the fan on top) and maneuver the belt between the bottom of the pulley and the transmission. You'll need to tug on the belt; it should come into contact with the shaft of the pulley over the transmission.
7. Slide the belt over the front PTO bracket and pulleys. There should be enough slack. If not, you didn't get the belt into the right position over the transmission.
8. Remove the steering arm (two 5/8" open end wrenches), and slide the belt down over the center pulleys. There is a 6" bar on top of the tensioner bracket that you'll have to slide the belt around.
9. Be very careful while sliding the belt back up to the rear pulley over the transmission. Then move the belt up around the fan blades and it should be free.

JD275_drivebelt_pulleys.JPG

Belt install:

1. Be very careful while sliding the belt over the fan blades and down underneath the pulley over the transmission. I had to press on the reverse foot pedal to get enough clearance to get the new belt down underneath the pulley. (There is a cantilever just underneath the rear pulley,which is connected to the reverse foot pedal, that may interfere with the belt.)
2. Route the belt up through the center of the belly, over and around the 6" bar on top of the tensioner bracket.
3. There should be enough slack to get the belt around the front PTO bracket and pulleys. If not, you didn't get the belt positioned correctly over the transmission.
4. Reinstall the guaded pulley.
5. Replace the guard on the tensioner pulley.
6. Replace the tensioner spring.

Last edited: