x320 oil filter and oil alternatives?

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #1  

ohbehave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 (2012)
I bought an x320 in June of 2011.

Somewhere along the line, John Deere changed the Kawasaki engine model slightly. Because of this, there are two different filters that one would use depending on the model.

My Engine is the FS 651 v
If I were to use the John Deere filter, it would be the AM125 424

With the older model of engine, I have found plenty of alternatives to the John Deere filter.... haven't found one for this model.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #2  
I have found plenty of alternatives to the John Deere filter.
Why would you not want to use a Deere oil filter?

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #3  
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Doesn't make sense to risk an engine meltdown, using foreign knockoffs, to save a few bucks.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives?
Thanks. You guys are probably right.

I just assumed that anything JD sells would be sold at a premium AND be precisely the same thing that one could buy at, say, Walmart.
Plus, I wouldn't have to make a special run down to the John Deere dealer.

This is a Kawasaki engine, so surely there are non-John Deere options that are exactly within spec.

Nevertheless, the online John Deere products aren't terribly expensive. It's just once or twice yearly that I change this stuff anyway.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #5  
I have several tractors to keep up with the filters on and use Deere filters for everything because the difference in price is minimal. I have a large covered plastic tote that I keep my filters in and keep a couple of spares for each machine. I replenish them when I have to go to the dealership for other reasons. Saves time, special trips and the off chance that I may buy something else ALOT more expensive than filters going to the dealership. Last time I stopped to pick up filters I came home with a new boxblade too.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #6  
I use a fram oil filter on my tractor, it costs $4. My JD dealer is over an hour away, and wants $22 plus 5% freight surcharge for one oil filter.

I figure if Fram or quaker state filters are good enough for my car and truck, why not my lawn tractor? John Deere does not have a proprietary design for their oil filters, and they use the same technology as every other oil filter out there. Further, using not JD brand filters will not interfere with your warranty compliance.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #7  
$22? for an oil filter! I paid $4.75@ for the JD filter(s) for my X540's water cooled Kawasaki. The filter for the K72 transmission was around $20. For engine oil, I use Golden Spectro motorcycle oil. It is a semi-synthetic oil that is as good as engine oil gets. [Better than full syn oils like: Mobil 1] Amsoil makes a special synthetic hydraulic oil to replace the trans oil.

I do not care for Fram filters. I find them to be cheaply made by comparson to OE filters like Motorcraft, A/C, or Mann filters for euro cars. Kawasaki also makes filters for our tractor engines. They cost a bit more than the JD filters, and are sealed with a plastic cover over the open end of the filter. I would not be surprised if the quality is better as well. The biggest differences being: Finer filtration, superior anti-drain valves, & heavier housings.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #9  
I'm not a fan of aftermarket oil filters either. I am a technician at a Chevrolet dealer and see many different oil filters on both cars and trucks. It seems that the factory filters are a much higher quality filter.i have never understood why peaple decide to spend big dollars on there equipment then want to fix it as cheaply as possible with poor quality parts then complain when it brakes again in a short time. It Is much cheaper and easier to fix it right the first time buy using quality factory parts.

/ x320 oil filter and oil alternatives? #10  
Ok, what ever.

I have seen the results of using different oils under extreme conditions. Also in the the long term. Golden Spectro is with out a doubt the best performing engine oil by far. It is also way overkill for our tractor engines. A decent quality oil, I'm sure is fine for our low horsepower, low revving engines. But, what the hay.... I stick with the best I know.