John Deere 314 w/42" Deck

/ John Deere 314 w/42" Deck #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Looking at buying one of these, checking it out tomorrow. It looks well used but with no obvious damage. Owner says the Kohler engine is strong and it cuts well. Hydrostatic system is performing well. Of course I have to verify these things in person! The price is $500.00. I need something affordable to get me through the fall leaf cleanup and maybe a few cutting seasons; cash is really tight right now. Anything I need to be overly concerned about, or that should make me avoid this unit? Thanks.

/ John Deere 314 w/42" Deck #2  
I have one of these, which I bought basically as a backup/standby mower. As long as they run, they are worth $500-$800 all day long. Like most of these machines they mow well. They don't steer the easiest, and turning could be shorter, and the single lacks the smoothness of a twin, but still, a very good machine. I've never seen one in running order sell for less. Frankly, you can't go wrong, and built 3 times as heavy as the new home depot machines.

/ John Deere 314 w/42" Deck #3  
I've owned a 314 since '87. I agree it doesn't steer very easy but it's very similar to a Timex watch. They take a beating and keep on ticking. Mine has never been to the JD shop since I bought it used. It's had only 1 set of points and 1 spark plug. On the other hand the 317's are a bomb waiting to explode.