x595 Warn winch install

/ x595 Warn winch install #1  

AOW162435

Tractor
2003 John Deere x595
I just finished installing a Warn xt25 2,500 lb winch on my '03 x595. Since I've occasionally come across threads asking about winch installs, I thought I'd share my project for others who may be interested in something similar.

The reason for the install is that we have a hilly property, and I'm always reaching for the come-a-long, etc. to pull out a bush, lift something, etc. This should do the trick.

The pics should be self-explanatory, but I'll add a few notes here:

- The xt25 is rated for 2,500 lbs as purchased. It comes with all wiring, an ATV handlebar switch, a universal mounting plate, 50 ft of synthetic line, and just about any piece of hardware you could need for a basic install. While researching these winches, I stumbled across an interesting tidbit of info regarding the pulling capacity differences between this winch, and the xt30 (3,000 lbs). The only difference, as verified by Warn, is that the xt30 winch comes with 6 AWG wire, rather than 8 AWG wire (xt25). So I purchased a length of 6 AWG Flex-A-Prene welding cable and created my own power cables using heavy copper ends, a hydraulic crimper, and shrink tubing.

- The plate that comes with the winch could easily be welded to a 1-1/4" receiver hitch insert and attached to the tractor as needed. I opted to create my own mount (powdercoated) and bolted it solidly to existing holes in the x595's front frame.

- The waterproof Warn handlebar switch is a nice item. I decided to modify the housing a bit and securely mount it within the cubby in the right fender. It fits great, is protected, and cannot be accidentally engaged.

- Speaking of the switch, it requires a +12v signal to operate. By mounting the switch in the cubby, I had a ready 12v source nearby - the on/off switch for the 12v outlet. I opted to make the Warn switch hot only after the 12v outlet switch is flipped first. I may add another switch or a handheld remote down the road, but for now this works great.

Enjoy the pics:

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

Andreas

Last edited:
   / x595 Warn winch install #3  
Nice setup. I mounted a 3000# HF winch on my x740. Consider making a small frame for the front of if, in case you run into something because you forgot it was on.

/ x595 Warn winch install #4  
Looks like John Deere put it on!

/ x595 Warn winch install
Good job.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Nice setup. I mounted a 3000# HF winch on my x740. Consider making a small frame for the front of if, in case you run into something because you forgot it was on.

I thought about that, but the mounting I created is effectively one with the frame head. At worst, the fairlead mounting tabs could bend back a hair, but then the fairlead mounting bolts contact the winch body. It's on there for good, so I'll know to keep it in mind (I say that now...).

Looks like John Deere put it on!

That was the intent. :)

Andreas

/ x595 Warn winch install #8  
Looks awesome. So what are you going to use it for?

/ x595 Warn winch install #10  
That is slick. I wish I would have done that when I had my 595. Do you have a three point hitch mounted? If so, you probably know they have a Cat 1 (or limited Cat 1) I match compatible 2" receiver which would work. One could also do a quick attach and detach front/back winch, which would also be cool with a high-quality winch like the one you have.

John