Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors?

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
Who all shuns the new stuff and mows with an older JD garden tractor from the 110rf's thur the 200 and early 300 series machines. I know of many 318's still in use, looking for older yet. I am looking to get a 110rf and put it back to work mowing my yard and tilling my garden. Mike

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #2  
I'm still using a JD 160 from the mid 1980's. My backup is a 1997 Kmart MTD that was given to me five years ago.

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #3  
I use a 1986 JD for mowing, don't remember the model though, its got a pressurized oil system though (for slopes) and has been unbelievably reliable for that whole time!

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #4  
I use my trusty old 1975 300 all year round to look after our place. 49 snow thrower for winter, 33 tiller for spring and 46" mower deck with power-flo bagger for mowing. I did install power steering in it some years ago, and I have to say, always look forward to seat time. Turns chores into fun.

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors?
If I get my Allis b1 diesel project tractor sold, I may go look at a nice 214 thats for sale localy. Parts, espicaly the integral hitch and rototiller are a bit more affordable for those than the RF tractors. I used to my the shop I worked for lawn with a 214, that was a smooth running tractor! And it was beat to death. Hadnt had much in the way of maintance in a long time. I knew the owner on a personal level and got him to spring for a full tune up and new blades. I even got to do it all on company time! She ran better and started much easier after that. Right now I am mowing with an old Lawn Boy! Mike

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #6  
Have a model 110 and a couple of 56's around. Still use the LX188 with the hydrostat transmission. It's old enough now to be vintage. I'm eyeing up a 425 4WS/2WD that the divorcing neighbors don't want. Problem the engine was rebuilt but don't run worth beans. Depends on price, never liked repairing a bargain and investing more than what it's worth.

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors?
425's fetch a good price around here, for the right price I would buy it. Probably just a carb issue or they didnt get the valve lash set right. Mowed with a borrowed Ariens RER today, still trying to get my Allis project sold, I have 2 JD214's located near me, just need $$ Mike

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #8  
My primary mower is an early 90's F525:

GARDEN TRACTORS 634 (Small).jpg

1980-314 for general towing, backup mower & snowblower:

HPIM2247 (640x478) (Small).jpg

1983-420 is mostly used for heavy towing, moldboard plowing & pushing snow:

GARDEN TRACTORS II 042 (Custom).jpg

GARDEN TRACTORS 424 (Small).jpg

GARDEN TRACTORS 700 (Custom).jpg

grnspot

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #9  
The small tractor in my avatar is a 312 from the 1970's It is keeping my daughters two acre lawn decent and it has a snow-blower I haven't tried yet. Good restore project for anyone with the time and talent. It was new to me this year so I'm not attached to it just figure it makes $45 bucks every time it dose he lawn.

/ Who still mows with vintage JD garden tractors? #10  
I still use a 73 140 to do a lot of my mowing. I have rental property and it is easy to transport. I repowered it with a Briggs Vanguard 18hp engine this spring. Now it mows terrific and has plenty of power. I also mow with my 317 and for big areas I use my 3520. But the one that I always head for first is my 140.