Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting...

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #1  

pgtr

Tractor
Deere LX255
...knock on wood! My 1998 LX255 still has the original OEM Deere battery and it still starts up just fine. Each spring I go out to use it thinking 'this is it, it's gonna be dead' but nope! Made it through another season.

Do others experience such long lived battery life with their OE Deere batteries?

If so - what makes their batteries so special ( and perhaps I should consider them for my truck etc.)

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #2  
...knock on wood! My 1998 LX255 still has the original OEM Deere battery and it still starts up just fine. Each spring I go out to use it thinking 'this is it, it's gonna be dead' but nope! Made it through another season.

Do others experience such long lived battery life with their OE Deere batteries?

If so - what makes their batteries so special ( and perhaps I should consider them for my truck etc.)

I replaced the original JD battery in my 13 year old JD 345 after about 5 years because I was tired of cleaning up the electrolyte that continued to seep from around the top of the battery and damage the paint in and around the battery tray. I replaced it with a Wal-Mart battery made by Johnson Controls (JCI) and it hasn't seeped any electrolyte and is has been continuing to start the engine for the past 7 or 8 years.

I noticed the battery in my new JD655 is also seeping electrolyte from around the top of the battery. If this continues, I'll replace it with another Wal-Mart battery if it's made by Johnson Controls. The electrolyte seeping from the top of the battery is similar to past experiences I've had with Exide manufactured batteries. I presume JD labeled batteries are made by Exide.

Bill

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #3  
I find that lots of members keep their batteries on a trickle charger all year long and get more use out of them. It would be interesting to see how well these would work if left to stand alone for a month and see if they still hold a good charge.

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting...
I find that lots of members keep their batteries on a trickle charger all year long and get more use out of them. It would be interesting to see how well these would work if left to stand alone for a month and see if they still hold a good charge.

I've never charged my particular battery in 14 years, going on 15 years, trickle or otherwise.Always careful to turn the key off so the hour meter doesn't run. I installed felt washers when new and put new ones in a couple years ago (a small bit of corrosion started on 1 terminal) and I sprayed each terminal w/ that red battery paint long ago. During droughts I can go months without starting it and I only occasionally use the mower in the winter - so it has sat for months between uses over the years. The battery has endured a lot of vibration and triple digit heat over it's 14 years - fairly typical for yard tractors I would think.

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #5  
Not a "can you beat this" story but maybe a "machines have feelings" story. Bought a new 3320 in 05. In the barn since new and plenty of cold weather starts. Sold it a few months ago and the day after I delivered it, the guy I sold it to calls me- "won't start". I have to believe his kids left lights on or something like that but who knows-he replaced the battery!

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #6  
ooops, posted in the wrong section!

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting...
I got a notice of a respone to this thread and thought I'd follow up on my battery.

Yep - the ORIGINAL JD battery in my 1998 LX255 is STILL Kicking as of 2015! 17 Years and Counting!

- I've never heard of such a long lived battery. The tractor is used every couple few weeks in the late spring and early summer with less frequent use in the winter. It's stored in my non-climate control GA. I've never hooked it up to a maintenance or trickle charger or disconnected it during long storage periods. I don't recal pulling the caps off to check the levels. I did put some felt washers on it long ago and spritzed the terminals with that red battery terminal paint. I've been lucky in that I've never accidentally left the lights on or something and run the battery down either.

Seems like a record going on here?

Are the Deere automotive batteries half this good?

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #8  
My JD battery died at two years old. Most batteries I see made in the last 10 years are lucky to last three years. My old Delco batteries would easily last eight years in my cars. Now a $300 Die Hard with a three year warranty only lasted one year before I had to replace it. My boat batteries lasted seven years and they were Wally batteries. My batteries get cleaned annually and water is monitored monthly.

Good luck with your battery. They don't make them like they used to.

Here's my experience:

Deere LX255 yard tractor: 18 years on OEM battery (1998-present)
Various including Mazda, Toyota truck with entry level 'cheap' Autozone batteries - 4-5 years (this was in 90s, early 2000s)
Pontiac: Autozone 'gold' Duralast: 10 years on the dot (2005-2015)
Chevy: Delco top of the line - a disappointing 2.5 years. (if the current pro-rated replacement fails, might look at another brand like Deere)

Most people I know who have L&G tractors seem to go thru batteries a lot - like every 2 years or so. Most brands of tractors have smaller batteries than mine with the 'lug' type connctors rather than auto style posts.

/ Anyone else with super long lived Deere battery? Mines14 years and counting... #10  
I've got a 2004 GT225, 320 hours and the original battery. I hate their stupid plastic hoods!