John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks #1  

klink

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 660,JD 4110 Hydro - JD 670 gear - 48 Farmall Cub - 51 Farmall H - John Deere 50 - JD X540 JD X580 AC 917 WH 81 Cub Cadet 1541 & 70
I have 2 John Deere mowing tractors ( GX345 & X540 ) with 54" mower decks. I don't like the high suction blades. They suck up stones along driveways and throw them out. Also their shape makes it hard to sharpen them. I would like to try a set of aftermarket straight blades that just cut grass. I don't need or want the high suction kind. Do any of you know where I can buy some regular straight blades that fit my 54CAC000005 deck?

Klink

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks #2  
The high suction helps the grass stand up to be cut and blown out of the deck. A lesser blade will leave a more uneven cut and perhaps deck clogging. You could try blades of the same length and mounting hole. Just take a blade with you when shopping.

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks #3  
I agree with Hoss the high lift blade designs create the best cut. The dealer can also do a lower lift blade and in many cases the book will show a low noise european version that can also be ordered. If the rocks are present though I think any blade design can still pick up a rock and give it a fling have you ever considered mulching as an option to decrease thrown stuff?

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks
they are not rocks - they are a driveway mix 411 stones. We have a pond and when I mow around it 9with discharge pointed away from the pond. You can see all kinds of dirt and small stones flying into the water surface. My AC 912H garden tractor w/48" mower does not pick up very many stones at all. Do any of you know where to find regular straight mower blades? I will ask the JD salesman about a european lower lift blade for those decks. Thanks
Klink

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks #5  
they are not rocks - they are a driveway mix 411 stones. We have a pond and when I mow around it 9with discharge pointed away from the pond. You can see all kinds of dirt and small stones flying into the water surface. My AC 912H garden tractor w/48" mower does not pick up very many stones at all. Do any of you know where to find regular straight mower blades? I will ask the JD salesman about a european lower lift blade for those decks. Thanks
Klink

Look on the JD web site Agricultural - Parts - Part Lookup for Standard instead of Hi-Lift blades
Here is the link
John Deere - Parts Catalog

The High-Lift blade is JD part number M152726.

The Standard blade is JD part number M143520.

I looked for the mulching blade part #, but did not see it.

The "curve" on the blade creates the high-lift. Bring a blade into your local farm or tractor supply store and they should be able to match you up with an Oregon mulching blade, given the arbor diameter and blade length.

Both the X500 and X700 series garden tractors are "cadillacs".

SC

/ John Deere GT aftermarket blades for 54c mower decks #6  
Try a Oregon dealer (local chainsaw dealer?) for some of their blades. They have some good blades in various shapes.

Aaron Z