JD 316 wont start

/ JD 316 wont start #1  

tfarm

Tractor
JD 316
I've got a JD 316 Onan and it wont start. The dash lights don't come on, and the headlights wont come on. The PTO switch is down, in the off position, the shifter is in the neutral position and it seems like that switch works fine. I sit on the seat but there's no clicking, no nothing. I've cleaned the batt terminals and tried jumper cables but yet nothing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
   / JD 316 wont start #2  
Just as a refrence, not very farmiliar with this engine, but what i would do is touch a jumper cable to the startor post. If it jumps than your problem is before that point.Check your fuses and startor sylinoid.Also inspect all wires for damage. Just a thought not an expert thought :)

/ JD 316 wont start
Forget to mention that I checked the fuses and inspected all the wires and connections. I think it may be in the ignition switch. So you're saying to take the red jumper cable and touch the starter post? Thanks.

/ JD 316 wont start #4  
Yes sir, that will imediatly tell you that the problem is before the startor or if it is the startor itself.If it does nothing make sure it is properly grounded then double check.It should jump.Very well could be ignition switch.

/ JD 316 wont start #5  
Disconnect the wire harnes connector at the ignition switch and look for any corrosion. Those older machines are good for corroded terminals. My 318 had the same problem.