Slow Moving Vehicle Sign

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #1  

glgeek

Bronze Member
Tractor
X728
greetings,

i have to drive down the street in our neighborhood to blow out the driveway of a neighbor. it is about 1/4 mile away.

i would like to put a slow moving vehicle sign on the back of my tractor.

i have a x728 with weights on the rear.

has anyone figured out a good way to do this?

this is not for commercial use or business. i just don't have a trailer to load it on and go there. i wait for the plow to go by and then drive there. sometimes in the dark. i like that i now have lights in the rear. i know that non of this is "legal" but i am going to do it anyway. i at least want to make an effort at being safe.

TIA
ba

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #2  
A bracket mounted on the back of the seat. or plain old wire looped around the weights and through the sign.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #4  
I took a quick glance and Minnesota law looks similiar to Texas slow moving vehicle laws. You need the slow moving sign, at least 1 headlight, one red tail light and hazard flashers. With those you can operate on the street legally.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #5  
I would screw the slow moving vehicle sign onto the back of the seat, get a little yellow strobe light that plugs into the cigar lighter with a mag mount, and wire under the deck a tail light if it does not already have one. In Minneapolis, they might hassle him, but in a small rural town, if he has the emblem and a flasher, I don't think they will bother him.
Doesn't the X700 series have real tail lights instead of just reflector's?

SC

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #6  
If he has all the required safety equipment, then he should be legal on the road. If in doubt, talk to one of the Police or Sheriffs officers. They can probably tell you.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign
I took a quick glance and Minnesota law looks similiar to Texas slow moving vehicle laws. You need the slow moving sign, at least 1 headlight, one red tail light and hazard flashers. With those you can operate on the street legally.

i have the headlight and red tail light covered.

it looks like i can make a bracket for the sign using the hitch ball hole as a mounting point.

what do you think of this?

John Deere X748 Modifications - YouTube

i also thought about battery operated stobes like they use on bicycles. but, i like the hardwired option.

i sure appreciate your suggestions.

i am going to try to meet all the requrements although i don't plan on driving down Hennepin Avenue. they have big machines for that.

it will be a project.

thank you all

ba

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #8  
I had a 10" or so length of very stiff coil spring (think it came from a retractable awning) to which I welded a 1/2" bolt at one end and a suitable length of rod (16-18") at other end.
The SMV triangle is fastened to long length and 2 nuts&washers take care of the fender mounting.
The spring action prevents breakage and has the neat effect of having the SMV triangle waving side to side as I drive. Sure catches the eye!

If you wanted it detachable a wing nut could be used.

On a friends open station tractor we mounted his rotating beacon in a similar way and used a lighter socket to provide power when the beacon is installed.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #9  
When driving a garden tractor down a slick street after dark I would put a big strobe light on each fender and a SMV sign on the back of the seat. I think I may even clip the battery operated strobe light from my bike onto the back of my hat. :laughing:

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign
great suggestions.

i am forming a bracket in my mind and have a question

JD provides a couple convieient holes in the rear brackets for a rod.

what is this part called?

IMG_1388.jpg
IMG_1389.jpg

ba