X720 vs X740.

/ X720 vs X740. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
Just wondering if diesel engine is worth the $1,000 upgrade?

I sold my X748 last year because I came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford it. I can make the payments on an X720 though. I have no interest in all wheel steering or AWD as my property is all flat.

How is the fuel injected kawi in the X700 series? My main concern is that it will drink gas, and not feel anywhere near as powerful as an X740.

I am still waiting for some more news on the new X700 line up. I want an X750 (2WD diesel) but my dealer never has any information about when the new machines will arrive. I think I may wait for the new machines, they have auto connect decks and the yellow decks are 7-Iron clones now, even in the 54 inch size.

I won't be using any 3PT items either. Just a plow, and the rest will be towing a big cart around for yard waste and moving small amounts of hay and manure.

/ X720 vs X740. #2  
I just bought a new X740 and I really like it. I chose the diesel for fuel efficiency, longevity and resale value. And the fact that it is darn cool!!! I use mine for the same things that you mention. I have a 2520 for the serious 3 pt stuff.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that you will see a big difference in power between the two motors. I have never read of anyone complaining about a lack of power with the gas models. Some complain about the fuel consumption.

I bought my 740 with a 7iron deck. Taking it on and off is a snap as it is drive over. It is not autoconnect but hooking up the pto shaft is a breeze. Literally seconds.

If you proceed and purchase a '13 I would be really interested in your findings. I opted for a '12 even though it was likely a bit more money.

/ X720 vs X740. #3  
The diesel only has three or four more pounds of torque. My X729 uses about 1.2 gals per hour. Never a lack of power when blowing snow or using the loader. If I decide to mash the traveler to the floor for the fun of it the response is instant and it goes. Others have done the math and calculated that most will not see $1000. in fuel savings between gas and diesel over the life of their tractor. With diesel there are no worries about fuel stabilizers.
The only time I thought I should have got a diesel was when someone on a forum said somthing like how odd it was to open a hood on a tractor and see a V twin or a motorcycle engine instead of a tractor engine.

/ X720 vs X740. #4  
They are both great engines, I'm sure you will be happy with either, but as RonS said, the obvious benefits are fuel economy, longevity and resale. Fuel savings alone, I agree, you will probably never reach the price difference, but resale is a guaranteed plus. For example, a 2004 X595 sells for approximately $1000 more than the same condition X585. So between the fuel savings and the resale, you will definitely be ahead of the game.

If you plan on keeping it forever, than you have the fuel savings and longevity. Any way you look at it, Diesel is worth the money.

Plus, lets not forget, there is nothing like the smell of diesel in the morning. That alone is worth the extra grand. :cool2:

/ X720 vs X740.
I just bought a new X740 and I really like it. I chose the diesel for fuel efficiency, longevity and resale value. And the fact that it is darn cool!!! I use mine for the same things that you mention. I have a 2520 for the serious 3 pt stuff.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that you will see a big difference in power between the two motors. I have never read of anyone complaining about a lack of power with the gas models. Some complain about the fuel consumption.

I bought my 740 with a 7iron deck. Taking it on and off is a snap as it is drive over. It is not autoconnect but hooking up the pto shaft is a breeze. Literally seconds.

If you proceed and purchase a '13 I would be really interested in your findings. I opted for a '12 even though it was likely a bit more money.

Originally I told my local dealer to inform me if they were going to have blow out prices on the 2012 models, and I figured I would pick up an X740 for cheaper. The more I looked at the redesigned X700 series though the more I really liked it. I especially like the new style hood. The other nice part is every mowing deck available with them now is a 7-Iron clone. Meaning, even if you buy a 54 inch, 60 inch, or 62 inch deck, they ALL have the same shape and deck design as the 7-Iron. John Deere calls these new decks "High Capacity" decks. The only difference between these decks and the 7-Iron, is that these are 9 gauge metal, which is still more than enough, and they are painted yellow. It's about time they offered this. For years they have offered the X700 as a premium machine, but unless you spent the extra dough on the 7-Iron, you received a "so so" basic mower deck like the X300/X500 crowd.

My only concern is they say they dropped a considerable amount of weight in the new series. What was sacrificed and why? Once these new machines come in I plan to look over them side by side thoroughly. If I feel John Deere has sacrificed strength or longevity to the new X700s in any way, I will be buying a unit from what is left of the 2012s.

/ X720 vs X740. #6  
I purchased my x720 in June of this year and when through the same decision process that you are going through. The power of the gas model is about the same as the diesel. They state that the diesel will last longer but there are gas models out there with 1500 hours and still running great. At 100 hours per year that is 15 years, but for me it is like 30 years. The cost of fuel will never off set the $1,000 up charge for the diesel. For me, both models are the top of the line tractors and I have been very satisfied with my tractor. However, the main reason I choose the gas model is that I don't have anything around that uses diesel and all my other equipment uses gas. Plus I have experience working on gas engines but not diesels. Yankee candle now offers a diesel smelling candle that I light and place in my drink holder for the "smell of diesel in the morning".
I still like my 2012 model looks better than the 2013 but I must say that I think so because I have the 2012.

/ X720 vs X740. #7  
I purchased my x720 in June of this year and when through the same decision process that you are going through. The power of the gas model is about the same as the diesel. They state that the diesel will last longer but there are gas models out there with 1500 hours and still running great. At 100 hours per year that is 15 years, but for me it is like 30 years. The cost of fuel will never off set the $1,000 up charge for the diesel. For me, both models are the top of the line tractors and I have been very satisfied with my tractor. However, the main reason I choose the gas model is that I don't have anything around that uses diesel and all my other equipment uses gas. Plus I have experience working on gas engines but not diesels. Yankee candle now offers a diesel smelling candle that I light and place in my drink holder for the "smell of diesel in the morning".
I still like my 2012 model looks better than the 2013 but I must say that I think so because I have the 2012.

There are many points you can argue about gas verses diesel. Gas is quieter, cheaper, fuel savings isn't worth the extra money, close in power (not 100% sure about that), easier to work on. All good points. The one you will never win, is longevity. 1500 hours on a diesel is nothing, just broken in. Where as 1500 on a small gas engine is near its life's end. Now if you're only going to be putting 50 hours a year on it, well thats hard to argue. You will still get your money back between fuel savings and resale, now its just a matter of how much you want a diesel, and if you want to lay out the extra money. I mean its almost like saying, I am going to buy a tractor, put it in my shed and not use it. What should I buy, gas or diesel?

The Kawasaki and the Yanmar are both great engines. I had them both and liked them both, no complaints about either. If money isn't the issue, then I would suggest the diesel, if it is then go with the gas, I am sure you will be very satisfied.

/ X720 vs X740.
Thanks for all the information guys.

I am looking at this machine as a long term purchase. However, I still wouldn't be racking on the hours like a commercial landscaper. My guess is I would likely put on about 75 to 100 hours per year. Even at that rate that gets me 15 years of life. Where I live diesel is always higher priced than Gasoline, which is BS in my opinion, but it is higher. In a case such as this one it would take me even longer regain the investment of a diesel. However, I do love all things diesel, so basically what its going to come down to is the payment. If I can swing an X750 or X740, I will do it, if I can't, than I will stick with the X720.

If anyone has any pictures of their gas powered X700 series, specifically the engine, I would like to see them. Any videos would be great too. Thanks!

/ X720 vs X740. #9  
Where I live diesel is always higher priced than Gasoline, which is BS in my opinion, but it is higher. In a case such as this one it would take me even longer regain the investment of a diesel.

That assumes you'll burn the same amount of gallons of both fuels, but I think you'll find the diesel uses much less fuel. There is more energy in a gallon of diesel, plus the engines are more efficient. That tends to offset the cost difference and then some.

/ X720 vs X740.
That assumes you'll burn the same amount of gallons of both fuels, but I think you'll find the diesel uses much less fuel. There is more energy in a gallon of diesel, plus the engines are more efficient. That tends to offset the cost difference and then some.

Oh I know all about diesels, but you are correct. 5 gallons of diesel fuel will give me more run time, which will allow me to accomplish more work. More or less I could likely use 20% less fuel and do the same amount of work I had originally planned to do. In the grand scheme of things, an extra $1,000 is quite small, especially over 4 years of financing. That's basically $20 a month for the sake of easy math. For $20, I can eliminate a few trips to the coffee shop or eating dinner out, and gain a diesel engine out of it.

Where I ran into trouble with my X748SE is I had a great paying job, I had been there quite a while, everything looked fine. Than one day you go into work only to find out you lost your job. The X748SE was basically $17,000 with taxes. The payment was out of my comfort zone but I stupidly went along with it anyways. I am not one to do that, I am always very good and careful with money, but I let the showroom shine take over that time I guess. The payment on a 2WD machine is much much lower, given the cost of the tractor is about $4,000 less. Not to mention this time I have a small down payment of a few thousand.

Truth be told I am glad it worked out this way. I really had no use for an AWD machine. I had convinced myself I did, but these X700 series will go almost anywhere in 2 wheel drive. Add chains and the diff lock, they are nearly unstoppable. I am looking forward to the much easier/cheaper maintenance of a 2 wheel drive machine over the all wheel drive. Especially when it comes time to change the hydro oil!