jd 345 fuel leak

/ jd 345 fuel leak #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
My mom bought a used 345 early this year (under my advice) and is pretty happy with it. She had mentioned to me a fuel leak that she could smell a while back and I had forgotten about it. Yesterday I was at here house and had to move the mower so I pulled it outside and left if running and after a few minutes it was smoking and smelled terrible. Well I found the fuel leak that she was talking about- it was coming out of what I would guess is a fuel pump under the carb. It has a small "weep" hole (or at least that's what I think it is) and it was spraying pretty good onto the exhaust. I don't know for sure that it was a fuel pump- only assuming and I didn't have time to do much with it.

Is this in fact a fuel pump under the carb. It has a kawi engine- I think the 20hp. I am assuming a bad diaphragm in there, but thought I would ask for some ideas before I go back and try to repair for her.

/ jd 345 fuel leak #2  
Here is the JD parts catalog for a 345 fuel pump, if this looks familier
John Deere - Parts Catalog

Wow! Are you lucky that the thing did not burst into flames. I mount Amerex 2.5 # ABC fire extinguishers on all three of my lawn and subcompact tractors.

SC

/ jd 345 fuel leak #3  
greetings Mike,

you didn't mention what year the 345 is, but the fuel pump was modified somewhere along the line.

they added a tube fitting and included a hose instead of the weep hole to route away from the muffler.

google "345 fuel pump leak"

SC is right, you are lucky.

you might want to be sitting down when they quote the price.

ba

/ jd 345 fuel leak
I haven't gotten back over there to look better, but you guys seem to be agreeing that what I was looking at was the fuel pump. Next time I go I will have to bring the trailer and bring it back home to fix for her. At least it will be her that will have to be sitting down.:D

Thanks for the help guys.